Join for free
Page 157 of 370 « First < 57 107 147 155 156 157 158 159 167 207 257 > Last »
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2018, 03:20 AM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Hoping that Floydy made it to the gym today and the rest of you had weather good enough to find yourselves in pools, gyms, or the great outdoors. It was the scene of a late run on the beach road this afternoon, four miles, and though no records were broken today. I felt like I had scored a victory over myself because all I wanted to do after surfing was stretch out and read a good book.

The tropical depression a few hundred miles away in the gulf is churning up dream sets of waves - shoulder high and transparent with the lush hue of emeralds. I suppose it's no accident that this area is called the Emerald Coast .

In the mind of a twenty-year-old, it seems like too much effort to gather the board, leashes, towels, sunscreen and the other accoutrements and drag them across a sandy beach. However, once my daughter saw the surf, she was digging around in search of a bikini and her favorite surfboard.

It's always funny to see the faces of people when I am carrying my surfboard to paddle out. As I am not exactly a spring chicken (though I have skin like one these days), I can see their wheels grinding, "Is she really going out in that water?" "She couldn't possibly surf.""How OLD is she?" It's really funny to see. Used to their predictable reactions after all these years, we waxed the boards, paddled out through a fairly rough current parallel to the shore, and then found our way just past the breakers.

In that perfect temperature, with the rays swimming by, the little bait fish at our feet, and the pelicans flying high we surfed, and surfed, and surfed. The number of waves we caught to the shore were in the dozens.

I think I really was, as it was coined long ago by the surfing community, "blissed out" having found myself doing my favorite thing with one of the most miraculous human beings on the planet.

As we caught the last set, talking about technique and how the waves were behaving (lumpy faces with a slight cross-current), I hoped that a long, long time from now she would remember these days and tell her children and grandchildren how once we surfed the green waves on perfect summer days.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2018, 05:12 AM

Oh Suzie, you need to put those feelings of age way into the very back of your mind. I'm sure that you certainly don't feel your age, and whilst the younger sect of surfers may be a little more adept at riding the highest waves, you could show them who's boss with technique and staying power no doubt.
I'm sure they're only doing their own thing and not looking at you anyway, except in admiration and for inspiration.

Your daughter is surely an inspiration too with her serious medical issues hopefully in the past now. It's wonderful that she can now take you on and spend her time surfing and running with you. It must make you feel so proud of her, and of yourself too for helping her overcome her illness.

I'm not feeling so bad today because it was noticed that I was given the incorrect medication for my ears. I was given a solution which was meant to be for an EYE complaint instead of an ear medication! No wonder I now have an infection!! I saw the pharmacist and they apologised profusely and now I have the correct ear drops. The dizziness has subsided and although I'm still getting earache, I feel that later today I should visit the gym for my weekend session - an intensive high reps effort. We shall see.

Take care
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2018, 09:30 AM

Good to hear you are getting the correct medication Floydy, I hope you get some relief soon and good luck with your visit to the gym later....

You certainly know how to make a Yorkshireman jealous Surfermom, that warm sea and decent weather sounds like paradise to me while I'm stuck up a ladder painting the ceiling........After all this work I guess I'm owed plenty of walking and hopefully, running time in the not too distant future...

Speaking of which.....Yesterday I found time to meander around my five mile running course, although only a walk it felt good to be out, and the start of my return to fitness.....
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2018, 03:18 PM

My gosh, Floydy, that was a bad deal about you drops. That must have been miserable wondering why you weren't getting any improvement. If you can start hearing through your eyes, let us know.

Haha, no, I'm not at all down about my age, never have been (aside from that short spell of so wanting children before age 35). In fact, I'm perfectly contented with my age because I suppose I am doing the very best I can to stay reasonably fit and health.

However, I have been reintroduced to all of my fine rib muscles, lats, and triceps after surfing all day yesterday. Apparently they spent the winter hibernating in the Seychelles, and are back making all sorts of demands - stretch there, rub here - ridiculously high maintenance, they are.

Thank you especially for your kind words about my daughter. You are right, I thank my stars every day for her recovery and bask in pride for this exceptional person that she is. It won't be long before she is launched into a life of her own (nothing could make me happier for her), so I am cherishing these days we have together.

OGF! Way to go! Your determination is something else, and it must have felt so freeing to be outdoors and have some alone time. Truly happy for you. No rush though, you've put yourself through the ringer, and rumor has it that your piriformis is talking revolution so....

The gulf, who is a temptress of the worst sort, ever pulling me away from responsibilities, is mercifully flat this morning. After I manage to go pull some materials from the local university, I am off for a rare breakfast out with friends. Thankfully we can't get a full English breakfast here (who ever heard of beans before noon?) or I would have to be carted down the trails rather than running them later today - six miles is the plan.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2018, 09:56 PM

Hope you enjoyed your breakfast, Suzie. Sounds great, and it's a good job your don't get a "Full English". That surfboard would surely sink!

Nice to see you in her again, Bob too. Take it nice and steady though bud...the fields and running shoes will wait until you are 100% fit again, and you will be.

I attempted a bit of training today, but my right ear is still giving me some hassle, i.e. I can't hear a bloody thing!
I know the drops are working though as I have no pain now, just full of liquid, so all being well I'll continue my session (which I've half written down, but will post the whole lot) in the morning.

Just finally finished my albums thread, so I'm a happy bunny. My wife has her husband back! :0

(Sorry, on my phone there, smilies don't work)
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

26-05-2018, 02:09 PM

Hopefully another few days of medication will put your ears right, enabling you to get in a full workout, Floydy. Somehow with the weekend here, you will find plenty to do to keep you busy.

I forwent several preferred activities late yesterday (meaning fun), in favor of battening down the hatches and stowing all the outdoor plant containers, sporting equipment and furniture in anticipation of tropical storm Alberto, bearing down just as I am trying to get out of town. While all that lifting and shifting is probably a good thing, tricking my muscles into working in a whole new way, I'll be happy to get this over I can squeeze in a long, relaxing run later in the day. For another 48 hours we should have sunshine with scattered thunderstorms before this fellow makes landfall, so I should be able to manage six.

And now that I've stated it, I have to do it, or I have to face the Forum Walk of Shame.

Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

27-05-2018, 05:56 AM

Just checking in to say I was true to my word, but I ended up running half of it in a downpour. Fun times!

More in the morning....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2018, 11:02 AM

I like that Surfermom......'The Forum Walk of Shame' and it's just how I see it, once you've committed your intentions on the forum, it should be as good as done....No excuses!..

So it was with this in mind when I set out first thing this morning and walked and jogged my way round a five mile route mostly in the country. My Piriformis was a little niggly but managed to jog and walk through it. It felt good to be up on my toes occasionally, and although early, the warm sun on my back and the distant heat haze my me realise what had been lacking in my life......

After a good hot shower and a bowl of 'Bob's Refreshing Porridge' the stiffness had made life a bit tedious, losing the ability to bend, but Ibuprofen to the rescue and I consider it a small price to pay if it restores my mobillity in time for Tuesdays effort..........Now, where's me stick....
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

27-05-2018, 12:46 PM

Bob - Good show mate on your walk-jog efforts today. With some more physio and your sheer willpower I know you'll be back pounding those fields before you know it

Suzie - I used to love running in the rain, keeps one cool and fresh, although the feet do get a little soggy. Nice work there

I missed my session yesterday and it's now time to really catch up as this will be my biggest session before I fly away next Friday, save for a proposed last minute effort on Thursday. So I'll be putting in a mammoth session today.
I have sorted out a very mixed, near 2-hour routine with many high reps but also adding a few heavier sets too and I'm about to hit the gym right now. Wish me luck...talk later with a write-up
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

27-05-2018, 07:56 PM

Are you sitting comfortably?

For the sake of wanting to make my diary on here a complete journal, I’m going to post the aborted session I did on Friday, rather than thrown away my notes – after all it is a training record and every little helps. So it’s two posts in one today…

Friday, 25 May 18:
High reps.
(All weights in kgs)

DB press:
20x20, 12x24

Pec dec:
25x30, 25x35

Fly dec:
30x57.5, 30x65

Tricep pulldown w/underarm attachment, wide grip:
25x20, 20x25

Chest press:
30x30, 20x40

Tricep extensions:
50x35, 10x50

E-Z preacher curl, close grip:
25x23, 15x28

E-Z preacher curl, wide grip:
20x18, 10x23

Barbell preacher curl:
10x30

E-Z preacher curl, close grip (heavy):
6x38, 6x48

Machine curls:
25x25

45 mins.

In hindsight, when I look back at that now, it’s not such a bad workout. I think that because it was meant to be weekend “heavy” session instead of the high reps workout it turned out to be made me rather disillusioned at my performance. However, today was something else entirely….

Yesterday I made the most of the beautiful weather and me and just one of my buddies decided to go to a town called Beverley for our Saturday afternoon drink, instead of our usual jaunt around Hull’s city centre. Some lovely pubs and we soaked up the sun whilst we tasted the various real ales. But drinking in the afternoon sunshine has its drawbacks and I awoke this morning feeling very dehydrated. It wasn’t that I had that much to drink, it was the hot weather and its after effects. After two full pints of orange squash and a hearty breakfast I went back to bed for a full four hours waking again at eleven feeling full of beans (literally). After a lovely refreshing shower I was ready to hit the gym at 1.30pm and began my workout.
To say it was the workout of my life was an understatement. Eighteen exercises and over two hours of intense lightweight high repping with plenty of heavy lifting too resulting in some serious muscle torture. My usual 2-3 sets were increased to four in most cases and I went through virtually every exercise I could think of, bar the legs which I’ll be doing tomorrow. Read on:

Sunday, 27 May 18: Full upper body blast:
(All weights in kgs)

Smith flat bench (quick warm-up):
25x20

Smith shoulder press
12x30, 8x35, 5x40

DB press:
16x22, 12x24, 8x26, 12x18

Lat pulldown, underarm grip:
25x40, 20x40, 12x50, 25x35

Seated row:
25x41, 20x47, 15x53, 25x35

Pec dec:
25x30, 20x40, 15x50, 20x30

Fly dec:
25x67.5, 25x72.5, 20x80

Chest press:
25x40, 20x50, 10x60

Barbell curl, standing:
15x30, 12x35, 6x40, 25x15

Barbell forearm reverse curl:
15x15, 10x15, 8x20

E-Z preacher curl, close grip:
20x33, 12x38, 7x43, 6x48, 4x53, 1x60.5
15x30.5, 25x18
E-Z preacher curl, wide grip:
20x18
*A hell of a lot of work on this which took me half an hour, really building up the biceps. The 60.5kg lift was only one rep, but it’s proof that my strength isn’t faltering in the arms at least.

Single DB press:
40x50, 25x50, 20x50, 15x50
= 100 reps total.
*A total of 100 reps using the heaviest dumbbell in the rack.

Tricep pumps:
70x15

Bicep pumps:
50x10
*Repping that much with ultra-light weights but not pausing at all takes some doing but it’s all very much worthwhile for the end result.

High-pull bicep cable curls:
10x20, 10x25, 6x30, 6x35, 20x15
*It’s been a long time since I did these. Standing with arms outstretched with cable pulleys and bringing them inwards in a double bicep pose sort of manoeuvre.

Tricep extensions:
30x40, 10x50, 8x60, 20x35

Machine arm curls:
25x25, 15x35, 6x40, 20x20

Ab crunch:
50x40, 50x30

Time 2hr. 20mins.

Despite it being extremely hot in the gym today - I drank three full pints of water during my training – I kept on going but paced myself, enjoying up to a couple of minutes’ rest between sets or exercises. Though sometimes I just carried on instead. Feeling and looking really pumped up, I went home and relaxed on the garden swing with a beer (but just the one this time – my reward!)

I go away this coming Friday, so that was a workout which was very much needed as part of my ‘holiday preparation’. As I said, it will be a legs session tomorrow in which I’ll be extending the workout to hopefully go a little heavier, plus I’ll also be adding even more high reps to the proceedings too.
That will leave three days which I’ll try to use for the gym, leaving just one rest day probably on Wednesday. I’m a little late catching up, but after today’s effort I feel that is a week’s worth of exercise done anyway. Fifty-three years old? I was the last to leave that gym today, outlasting everybody who came and went!

Thanks for reading, hope you're enjoying the weekend.

Page 157 of 370 « First < 57 107 147 155 156 157 158 159 167 207 257 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top