Join for free
Page 165 of 370 « First < 65 115 155 163 164 165 166 167 175 215 265 > Last »
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2018, 03:07 PM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Good going that Besoeker, I'm 68 in three weeks and had it not been for an untimely Heart Attack in 2004 I'd still be doing them myself, but unfortunately, even though I feel up to it, my family are not of the same opinion, so I just run local now...... I did manage to blast round 36 full marathons though including Snowdon.....
I don't how many our Peter R did. Probably about that many. He was out of it for a bit with heart surgery but went right back to it.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2018, 10:43 AM

The nagging stiffness and chronic pain that had accompanied me on all of my recent runs was not present yesterday as I tossed my gnawed apple cog into the bushes and rose up on to my toes to complete another non stop five miler. Just for a mile or two I felt like my old self, and I was tempted to stretch my legs with a more testing pace. I resisted the temptation and enjoyed a steady plod round the course. Storm clouds queued up on the horizon, and a gentle rain dowsed my face and legs, but in anticipation I was suitably attired, the top half anyway!

My mind wandered as I jogged, to those ten years between 1986 and 1996 when Marathons stole all of my time. I thought about a post I made, about continuing to run marathons had it not been for my 'Untimely Heart Attack' and I realise that my passion for marathons died before I almost did.....

It probably died the day I was made redundant. Earning a living suddenly crept to the top of my priority list, and setting out as a self employed courier demanded all my attention to make it the success it turned out to be. Make no mistake though, running kit had a permanent shelf in my van, and after the successful delivery of goods, a run would follow, always in interesting and uncharted territory.

Filling leisure time has never been a problem for me. With so many interests and hobbies I slipped into retirement like a well worn pair of slippers, with no single hobby occupying the lions share of my time. In order to maintain Marathon fitness one must 'give over' virtually all leisure time to training - To enjoy running long distances, you must run as far as you can, as often as you can. I did this for ten years without complaint or regret, and whereas I shall strive to carry on running for as long as I'm able, I also enjoy family life and pursuing other interests.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2018, 02:20 PM

Fine, wise words those Bob, and an inspiration to others in many ways I'm sure. Mainly, never give up striving for your goals. pending serious illness, you can always pick up where you left off be it after a month or sometimes following years of recovery. But we get that urge to carry out our wants and desires because it's inbuilt into our system; our psyche.

It's also wonderful that you didn't slip into a vegetative state when you retired (or got made redundant). many people don't know what has hit them. I know this from my dad who basically sat in a chair for the first couple of years wondering what on earth to do with his time - though he was always occupied with woodworking, his joinery trade never leaving him until he was physically unable years later.

But mate, it's fantastic that you're now able to continue you main love which is running. It's taken you some time to overcome most of your recent setbacks, but you've done it through willpower and determination where a lesser man would simply throw the towel in. Good on yer, buddy
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2018, 08:19 PM

Thanks Floydy, I appreciate your comments, it was the best thing ever when you started this thread, the support and friendship from all who post on here is outstanding, and has certainly introduced a new dimension to the way I look at exercising. Long may we continue to support and help each other in whatever exercise regime we follow. Thanks again Floydy....
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2018, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Thanks Floydy, I appreciate your comments, it was the best thing ever when you started this thread, the support and friendship from all who post on here is outstanding, and has certainly introduced a new dimension to the way I look at exercising. Long may we continue to support and help each other in whatever exercise regime we follow. Thanks again Floydy....
No problem, Bob.
I think we all support each other in some way or another on this thread, and indeed this forum.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

19-06-2018, 02:18 AM

No gym work from me yesterday you may have noticed. I had to swap things around due to family matters.
I'll be back at it today and tomorrow pending further family matters.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2018, 05:29 AM

Isn't it interesting on this forum and in our lives the varied ways in which that little voice inspires some passion or another! Of all the things that draws me to people and want to get to know them better, it is this kind of drive and the discipline that comes with it. While I was never a marathoner, I do understand that drive to have a heady sense of accomplishment and determination that comes with it. It's not a diversion or a hobby, it's a lifestyle. I would also argue that even though OGF was already evolving away from his marathoning, it may have saved his life.

So, on a night of feeling a little letdown after an extraordinary few weeks, OGF's post has me in the full, vivid, bloom of anticipation in launching back into a decent five to six miler, except for one little problem....

My toe is broken. I am nothing if not a walking disaster.

Floydy, I hope your family matters sort out so you can get back into it tomorrow. This is indeed a nice little gathering place that you started here.

Tomorrow I'll be getting the bike greased and the tires filled. Even a broken toe won't slow me down much.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

19-06-2018, 02:51 PM

Aww, how have you broken your toe, Suzie? At least you're not giving in - enjoy the bike ride!

The first of my two during-the-week basic ‘top-up’ sessions. Today was ‘push’, tomorrow ‘pull’:

Tuesday, 19 June ‘18: Push
(All weights in kgs)

DB bench press:
10x24’s, 10x24’s, 8x26’s, 6x28’s

Smith shoulder press, 60° bench:
25x20, 6x40, 4x50

Smith flat bench press:
6x60, 4x70
25x30 h/r

Chest press:
50x30 h/r

Pec dec:
50x30 h/r

Tricep extensions:
25x40 h/r
25x30 h/r

Tricep push downs:
50x15 h/r

Sled leg press:
100x100 h/r

Time: 40 mins.

Nice and quick, did the job adequately. Light weights and high reps are the main focal point of my mid-week routine with fitness and keeping the flab down being the priority these days.

The first time I've seen a glimmer of my abs in years!

Thanks for reading.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2018, 09:51 PM

Ooooo SM, so sorry to hear about the broken toe, I'm thinking 'ouch' just thinking about it, you poor thing.

Floydy, you don't have any flab but you can have some of mine if you want some LOL.

Proud of me tonight, sat here at my computer at nearing on 8pm and thought to myself "sod this, get off your fat backside and get up to the gym" so I did! I did 25 minutes cardio and a 25 minute swim. Just got home and I'm sooooo glad I went, I feel champion.

Floydy I could do with doing some weights to help tone up my horribly flabby legs but does cardio tone up the legs?
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

20-06-2018, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
Floydy, you don't have any flab but you can have some of mine if you want some LOL.

Proud of me tonight, sat here at my computer at nearing on 8pm and thought to myself "sod this, get off your fat backside and get up to the gym" so I did! I did 25 minutes cardio and a 25 minute swim. Just got home and I'm sooooo glad I went, I feel champion.

Floydy I could do with doing some weights to help tone up my horribly flabby legs but does cardio tone up the legs?
Well done with the exercise, LQ. All adds up you know

Cardio will tone legs but to do it much more quickly it's a good idea to use some of the weight stations as well/instead.
Of course there are many different muscle groups in the legs but a good mix of the seated sled press, extensions, hamstring curls and the abductor/adductor machines should see some tone added to your legs relatively quickly.
You don't need to use heavy weights either - it's the reps that count. See thread on Floydy's exercise apparatus

Page 165 of 370 « First < 65 115 155 163 164 165 166 167 175 215 265 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top