Join for free
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2018, 03:50 PM

Calibre eBook Converter

Anyone here use Calibre

It's a brilliant much used application for managing all your ebooks and can generally strip any DRM from them in order to protect yourself from any future proprietary issues and companies going bust.

I buy all my ebooks via Amazon and thus get the Kindle format. I then immediately strip the DRM from them and convert them to ePub format which I can then read perfectly on my Kobo eReader. I thus have the best of all worlds.

After my former Amazon Kindle device died a death, as so many seem to do, I researched eReaders in general and discovered the Kobo which seems to be far far more reliable than Kindles. Touchscreen, backlit, great handy size and a battery that lasts months.

The issue of course was always what would I then do with all my previously bought Kindle books? Calibre makes that issue go away. It converts all your books into alternative formats that are NOT proprietary of which I find the ePUB format the best.

So now I have all my books in both Kindle (AKZ) format and in ePUB format. I can read ePUB with any othe device should the Kobo ever go kaput including PC eReaders.

Overall a brilliant application that can handle libraries of your eBooks and keep things well organised.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2018, 01:51 PM

Re: Calibre eBook Converter

Forgot to mention that CALIBRE is free

https://calibre-ebook.com/
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2018, 01:57 PM

I've stashed that ...thanks Realist.
You might just have answered a question I asked on the other thread about e-books.

I'll get my noddle around this yet.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2018, 12:06 PM

I've used it for a few years now. It's a very handy utility.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2018, 12:13 PM

That's what I love about forums ... picking up handy tips, bits of info and endorsements of good stuff to use.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2018, 02:32 PM

I used it to convert the books on my Nook EReader over to Kindle format. I was blowed if I was going to pay for them again, lol.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top