Join for free
Page 6 of 11 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2017, 02:26 PM

Re: Cheap Microsoft office?

That's only the GD app on PCs - the GD drive itself remains. No doubt another method of synching data will be in the pipeline?

ETA - a new synch program is available now, will install it shortly. The difference is that at one time you had to put any files to be synchronised into a dedicated folder. This new version allows synching of any folder.

Will pop back after it's installed.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2017, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
OOps!

Apparently Google Drive is being shut down & removed.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/7/16...p-app-shutdown
I didn't know that ......

Will have a look at what's replacing it!

What's the betting that the replacement will have a smaller allowance & higher cost?
For the home user, it seem that only the app, i.e. the means of access to Google Drive is going to change:

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3223...to-expect.html

When Google Drive is going away, and how

Note that Google doesn’t appear to be making any changes to the Drive service itself, just the apps. Google currently offers 15GB of online storage with Drive, and those files are accessible with any device with a Drive app installed. Those devices include Android devices, iPhones, and iPads—whose Drive mobile apps are apparently being left untouched.

Google said it will stop supporting the Drive app for Macs and PCs on December 11, and the Drive app will simply stop working on March 12, 2018. At that point, consumers will have to use Backup and Sync. Business customers subscribed to Google’s G Suite apps will be shifted over to Drive File Stream, a preview app that is now being pushed mainstream.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2017, 08:16 PM

Have now downloaded and installed Google's back-up and synch program and is working well. The installation removes the old Google Drive service but retains the contents of the PC mounted Google Drive folder. Rather than copy my work docs to the GD folder to synch as before, I can get them to synch directly from their respective save folders as well as my GD folder. You can also synch your photos (if you wish) to your Google Drive too.

As an added bonus, the program doesn't run automatically at boot time, it can be run from the desktop icon. It's also a lot faster at synching and you can see the progress of the files being synched - a great advance on the old system where you didn't know whether it was synchronising or not.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2017, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Have now downloaded and installed Google's back-up and synch program and is working well. The installation removes the old Google Drive service but retains the contents of the PC mounted Google Drive folder. Rather than copy my work docs to the GD folder to synch as before, I can get them to synch directly from their respective save folders as well as my GD folder. You can also synch your photos (if you wish) to your Google Drive too.

As an added bonus, the program doesn't run automatically at boot time, it can be run from the desktop icon. It's also a lot faster at synching and you can see the progress of the files being synched - a great advance on the old system where you didn't know whether it was synchronising or not.
Excellent .....

I'll get round to it as soon as I finish my Office training course .....
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2017, 11:55 PM

OOps!

Apparently Google Drive is being shut down & removed.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/7/16...p-app-shutdown

Will have a look at what's replacing it!

What's the betting that the replacement will have a smaller allowance & higher cost?
No No No... You had me worried for a moment there but it is just the app that is being replaced not the service. Google Drive storage and Photos go on.

Remember Picasa was abandoned but the photo service went on as Google Photos, this is much the same.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

10-09-2017, 05:54 PM

Google Backup and Sync downloaded and installed on 2 PCs with no problems ..... I took the opportunity to clean up not only the Google Drive folders but also the additional folders that I want to include for syncing .....
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire

11-09-2017, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Google Backup and Sync downloaded and installed on 2 PCs with no problems ..... I took the opportunity to clean up not only the Google Drive folders but also the additional folders that I want to include for syncing .....

Aye, life's grand.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2017, 07:55 AM

I'm a Good Boy, I pay £5.99 a month to Microsoft.
SamTheMan
Merseyside
SamTheMan is male  SamTheMan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2017, 01:48 PM

I only have one of the free programmes OpenOffice, which is probably good enough for what i need. But if this a bargain, i'll move up.
Could someone explain to me why it's so much better, what extras will i be getting ?
Thanks.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2017, 03:09 PM

You won't be getting much more to be honest, if you are happy with Open Office stay with it.

Page 6 of 11 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top