Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2018, 08:51 PM

Re: Laptop overheating?

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Fan's coming on usually signifies a programme/application that uses the graphics card rather than base usage like your browser. You would know though if you're using any kind of app that needs graphics.

Possibly you've recently had an update to your antivirus system and the new core programme is hogging resources. It's a problem with all antivirus programmes esp the free ones. They work fine for a year or two the a new programme update comes along which makes everything run like a dog.

Try disabling your antivirus and see if it makes a difference.
I'd rather not. It's Windows Defender, built in to Windows of course.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure now that it is likely to be Malwarebytes running a scan whenever I turn on my computer.

I'll keep an eye on it, though.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2018, 12:24 PM

JBR

Most probably a dust build up on the air intake.

Do not use a vacuum cleaner to try to clear it.

Take the back off and clean.

Happens to me on my main frame had to clean it three times over the past few years.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2018, 12:33 PM

The fan in my lap top started rattling around a few weeks ago. So much so that I thought it had had it. I blew into the vents and it seems to have calmed down now and does not get as hot.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2018, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I'd rather not. It's Windows Defender, built in to Windows of course.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure now that it is likely to be Malwarebytes running a scan whenever I turn on my computer.

I'll keep an eye on it, though.
Software will cause a processor to warm up, given heavy usage, which is why a cooling fan is always attached, close to the processor, to provide the right air flow in order to keep that temperature under control.

Often. the thermometer ups the rotor speed to keep the airflow, and temperature, right.

That's the way it's designed.

There will also be a temperature check which will shut the machine down if the processor does overheat more than the designer likes..

The symptoms which you are describing are very likely to relate to the air flow.

I suggest that you, initially, ignore any pointers to the software.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2018, 07:18 PM

Thanks, everyone, for our advice.

I'm happy with things now as things are, but should anything become worse I shall have a go at clearing out dust.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

18-04-2018, 06:44 PM

I have taken steps to blow dust out of the ventilation channels, as suggested, and find that the fans still blow hot on some occasions - like just now.

I did a Google search and found a couple of useful sites:
https://appuals.com/100-disk-usage-b...in-windows-10/
https://lifehacker.com/why-is-window...ram-1725076206

Both contain some very interesting reading.

I followed Solution 2 in the first link and find that the fans and hot air are very much reduced and temperatures are back to normal.

I'll keep an eye on things and if the problem reoccurs I'll try something else!

I thought these sites might be of interest to others as well.
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2018, 06:53 PM

Best thing I ever did to stop overheating was buy a cooling pad from Amazon.

OH and on a regular basis hoover the fan vents.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2018, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I have taken steps to blow dust out of the ventilation channels, as suggested, and find that the fans still blow hot on some occasions - like just now.

I did a Google search and found a couple of useful sites:
https://appuals.com/100-disk-usage-b...in-windows-10/
https://lifehacker.com/why-is-window...ram-1725076206

Both contain some very interesting reading.

I followed Solution 2 in the first link and find that the fans and hot air are very much reduced and temperatures are back to normal.

I'll keep an eye on things and if the problem reoccurs I'll try something else!

I thought these sites might be of interest to others as well.
Had a look and that site was blocked by my anti virus thingy.

But nothing serious was just a PUP virus.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

19-04-2018, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by galty ->
Had a look and that site was blocked by my anti virus thingy.

But nothing serious was just a PUP virus.
Yes, Malwarebytes picks up lots of them.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2018, 10:44 AM

PUPs are often described as harmless!

That is a myth.

They are programs.

So are viruses (Viri?)

Pups are put on your PC to do things, like screwing with your search engines, counting and collecting usage activity.

They are not called by the name "Virus" probably because anyone who calls them such could be liable for prosecution.

However, putting a PUP in there could, actually, be a way of holding the door open for a virus which could arrive soon after & such that neither the PUP or the Virus shows up as harmful.

Personally I get rid of them as soon as they are found.

If I didn't ask for it, didn't want it, why should I let it remain on my PC?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top