Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2018, 09:33 PM

Water for the hedgehogs

Is everyone putting water out for the hedgehogs during this hot dry period ?

I must admit that I had forgotten to, until this evening when I saw a little frog struggling. So he got some too.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2018, 09:38 PM

Re: Water for the hedgehogs

No hedgehogs around my neck of the woods they'd get too out of breath climbing up the hills

I've kept my little pond topped up for the birds though ... it's been full of them having a dip today.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2018, 10:23 PM

The little birds love a bath , some bigger ones too. Lots of sparrows and blue tits atm. I'm very pleased with the rise of the sparrow population , there didn't seem to be any just a handful of years ago.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2018, 10:26 PM

Have you noticed that they're keen on dirt baths a lot more lately?

I've a patch of bone dry crumbly soil and they queue up to have a good wriggle in the loose dirt. Must be to get rid of excess oil or nasty biting midges?
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK

07-06-2018, 10:32 PM

No, can't say I have noticed any doing that. Saying that , they could be somewhere out of view doing their grooming as I can't see around the corners.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2018, 10:34 PM

Plenty of water around here for the hedgehogs we don't go many days without rain and there are ponds and puddles everywhere. Only last week we had gulls swimming on the field.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2018, 10:35 PM

It's years since I last saw a hedgehog, we don't seem to get them here anymore.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2018, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
It's years since I last saw a hedgehog, we don't seem to get them here anymore.
I see one most nights scuttling down the lane and little hedgehog poos in the morning
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2018, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I see one most nights scuttling down the lane and little hedgehog poos in the morning
Meg I certainly wouldn't recognise hedgehog poos from any other poos!
Morticia
Chatterbox
England

07-06-2018, 10:44 PM

I think they're lovely little critters ... isn't there a hedgehog sanctuary somewhere where you can rehome them in your own garden, albino hedgehogs or one-eyed, three-legged injured from road accidents who can no longer survive in the wild. You have to have a decent secure garden.

I could be wrong but I'm sure I saw one online years ago.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top