Join for free
Theo
New Member!
Guatemala, CA
Theo is male 

11-06-2018, 03:43 PM

Weird Ancestry

Before digging trenches around your house, there is a state service you call (#811) that will dispatch a technician to make sure no buried utility lines are hidden in that area.

But when you start digging into your family’s past, no such service exists, so you might just hit a buried sewer line which will gush out with all sorts of mysteries, secrets, spicy and tragic stories, and bizarre ancestors.

I have just begun to scratch the surface of mine and have already dug-out:

1. An unknown ancestor who looked like Rasputin.
2. A great-grandmother who gave up four daughters for adoption and married seven times, topping sexually-precocious Sue Lyon who was cast at age fourteen in Stanley Kubrick’s 1962 movie ‘Lolita’ and who married five men.
3. A great-grandfather who was euthanized by the Nazis.

"Drop it!" My father said a few nights ago.

You know what that means...

I’ll keep digging and bring out more to light in Book I of my Memoir: The Age of Baku, the Dream Eater.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rasputin.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	6205   Click image for larger version

Name:	Claire Roxlau in Woods.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	6206   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stevedore.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	6207  
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2018, 04:18 PM

Re: Weird Ancestry

I found some very interesting things too.
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2018, 06:41 PM

When my first wifes mum died we found out that my wife had a younger step sister who was adopted over Lancashire way. We didnt know who the father was or anything else other than proof of her being adopted.
My ex could remember being sent to stay with an Aunt for a little while her mum was "ill" but didnt want to enquire any further.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2018, 11:24 PM

I knew someone that had to trace her roots, using just a slave bangle that had been passed down through the generations.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2018, 12:10 AM

Bi jingo !! One of my Gt.gt. uncles ended up in Guatemala, Theo, in the 1870's. He was the one that disappeared, but we found him listed in a cemetery only about 2 yrs ago after decades of searching. From that we found he had children , but don't know if he was married to their mother . Didn't Guatemalan women keep their surname (family name) , or something like that ?
His children carried his surname.
I think he originally went out there to work on the building of the railroad.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2018, 06:35 AM

Careful, Theo, it becomes addictive! But isn't it fun - we have a whole thread on genealogy in the ' Leisure' section - lots of interesting posts!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top