Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2018, 03:10 PM

Re: Help, I need some advice about magpies!

Originally Posted by wild blueberry ->
Hi Twink

I had this problem with the squirrels here. One larger squirrel bit the small one on the nose (while I watched, and I was horrified). His little nose was bleeding and he was crying.

Even that night I could hear him up in his nest crying. I would go "click, click" and he would stop crying, he was listening to me...and I think it comforted him.

I had to stop feeding them, because the bigger ones were too mean to the little ones.

The squirrel with the deformed nose (yes, he survived, but you can tell when you see him, as his nose is badly deformed)..gets treats from me that the others don't know about.

I carry peanuts with me all the time, especially for him...all I have to do when I am out walking is, click click with my mouth and he comes running.

So he was the winner in the end, as I will always look out for him.

Twink, I think you have to stop feeding them in order to "save lives". Sometimes tough love is the best in the long run. I don't feed the squirrels anymore because I couldn't stand the pain of watching them fight for food. Even if there is plenty of food, they still have to fight for it.

I hear what you're saying Blue, but if they don't fight in your garden, they will still fight in someone else's.
Law of nature unfortunately.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2018, 03:14 PM

Yes, I guess you are right. It is their nature. I can't stand to watch jungle movies on TV because I can't stand the killing amongst the animals.

Come to think of it Mups, we animals do the same thing, don't we? LOL...some of us do anyway. People kill other people for money and power. Bloody terrible world we live in eh Mups? LOL
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2018, 03:19 PM

Sorry Twink, can't help you.

I also feed Jackdaws, Magpies, Jays and all the smaller birds, but they are meat eaters and are probably feeding their babies, but I must admit my Magpies and Jackdaws get on alright with the smaller birds, no problem.

Sorry I can't help.
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2018, 03:28 PM

When you feed birds and attract them to your garden you can't be selective in what arrives, Magpies are territorial and will kill anything on their patch, stop feeding for a few weeks, and see what happens when you restart feeding again.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2018, 03:30 PM

We don't feed the birds in the summer, only the winter when food is scarce for them. If it were me I would stop feeding them at once, make them look further afield for their grub as they should be doing, they have it too easy at the moment and are using their energy causing mischief instead of huntng.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2018, 03:48 PM

Like other corvids magpies are very clever, opportunistic birds. They have come to know you feed the smaller birds and it will be easy pickings for them to prey on the smaller birds and their fledglings. They have also probably done well this year with their own broods and there are a lot of magpies around. They are fighting each other for territory and resources and the younger adolescents are hanging round, but need to fend for themselves more by and taking themselves off into the wider surroundings. By feeding the smaller birds the magpies have a ready supply of young fledglings and older smaller birds to prey on. As Roxy says it is too easy for them and the smaller birds at the moment. Sad as it to see this activity you have to admire the magpie's savvy. As has been said it is nature's way and is how it should be.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2018, 03:57 PM

This would appear to be very appropriate!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrdsT9qvdnc
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2018, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
This is where you could do with our Nomkins thoughts, Twink.

Upsetting though it is, at this time of year I guess all wild creatures want the food for their own babies first, so will chase away or attack others who are taking it.
Hard to watch, but still natural behaviour.
Survival of the fittest and all that.
You are right Mups I do need Nomkins!

I have been feeding birds for most of the 30 years I have lived here and I have never seen them behave this way before, so perhaps they are too well fed.

Strangely though, I haven't seen them attack any small birds, it is just the larger ones... in fact there are 2 magpies attacking a pigeon as I type, whilst a blue tit is munching merrily on a fat ball in the same tree!

I do agree with the "survival of the fittest " routine as it helps the strongest birds survive, so I may contact the RSPB and see what they say.

Thank you to all who have offered advice!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2018, 04:31 PM

Hi

Magpies are predators, pure and simple.

I leave them alone, it is the natural order of things unless they become a serious problem.

Cats kill far more birds than Magpies do, yet some people keep them and do not worry about it.

I am not targeting anyone, just stating a fact of life.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2018, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Magpies are predators, pure and simple.

I leave them alone, it is the natural order of things unless they become a serious problem.

Cats kill far more birds than Magpies do, yet some people keep them and do not worry about it.

I am not targeting anyone, just stating a fact of life.
I very much doubt that cats kill more birds than magpies, cats do not raid nests and birds are not that easy for cats to catch.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top