Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2015, 11:54 PM

Electricals

Help! Is there anyone here who knows about electrics?
Tonight my telly suddenly went off. It's an old telly and I thought it had just died. Then I noticed my telephone, computer, cooker clock, and various other things were also all dead. The lights are stayed on though.
I looked at the box on the wall to see if a switch had tripped, and one had. It was marked RCD, but I don't know what that means. All the others switches were fine.
I tried pushing it back on and it seems alright so far, but I'm a bit worried what made it do that and whether its safe?
I worry about something catching fire while I'm asleep!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2015, 12:02 AM

Re: Electricals

Mups the lights are probably on a different circuit

The fuse box should trip to prevent a fire.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2015, 12:08 AM

Mups, the trip switches are there to prevent a fire. If it tripped there was probably a temporary overload, but if it's fine since you put it back I don't think you need worry.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2015, 12:18 AM

Thanks ladies, but what does RDC mean, any idea? Cos that's the name of the one that tripped.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2015, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Thanks ladies, but what does RDC mean, any idea? Cos that's the name of the one that tripped.
This may help you to understand it more, Mups .....

http://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org...cds-explained/
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2015, 12:25 AM

do you mean RCD Mups? it's a residual current device that trips the circuit
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

17-03-2015, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
This may help you to understand it more, Mups .....

http://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org...cds-explained/

Oh dear, thanks very much Mags. I think I'd better get an electrician out tomorrow if poss, to check it out incase there is a fault somewhere, I don't know about. It must have tripped off for a reason.
Oh dear, more problems ....
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

17-03-2015, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by Honey ->
do you mean RCD Mups? it's a residual current device that trips the circuit

Yes, that's probably it Honey, but I'm a bit worried what made it trip. There must be a problem somewhere surely?
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2015, 12:39 AM

I had to call an electrician out when mine kept tripping, I couldn't find what was causing it, turned out to be a socket in the kitchen, cost me £45 for the repair
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

17-03-2015, 12:53 AM

Oh well, sooner pay than have an accident ey. Thanks Honey.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top