Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Tpin
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2017, 07:28 AM

Re: Could living abroad be achieved financially?

Too many expats, both retired and business owners to become a problem...hopefully.
Floydy
Hull, UK
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2017, 03:41 PM

Good replies, thanks all.

I'm nowhere near retiring just yet, but it's something to think about when I'm in that position. Though maybe in around 15 years' time things may have changed.
Realist
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2017, 03:30 PM

Everyone I have ever known that went off to another country came back to the UK after things didn't work out the way they planned. Greece, Canada, etc.

Spain's economy is shot, another great EU victim along with Greece, Italy and so many others.

Years ago there was a boom of Brits going over to Spain to build properties and live there. Later on the Spanish authorities deemed that the planning permissions were not right and so many people lost everything.

The grass always looks greener, but very seldom is.

With BrExit and the inevitable eventual collapse of the EU, being abroad might not be the ideal situation. Things are very likely to change, businesses likely to go under, local populations likely to want to look after their own rather than incoming Brits or anyone else.

Don't get me wrong, I love Spain, I visit it many times in many different parts and have some good friends there. I've learned to speak Spanish and I love their food and traditions. Moving there permanently though is a different matter. Many things would be fantastic, the endless supply of fresh market ingredients, warm weather, laid back lifestyle, but everything could easily change and getting back onto the UK property ladder once you've been out of it for a while can be difficult.
Floydy
Hull, UK
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2017, 04:52 PM

Excellent post above, Realist. One worth noting for the future, if I ever decide on a future living abroad that is!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top