Join for free
Page 47 of 190 « First < 37 45 46 47 48 49 57 97 147 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2016, 07:56 PM

Re: Bob's Bits.

Awoke to another sunny day and after yesterday's rest day I was ready for a decent walk. There is a large reservoir at the other end of the island which supplies Guernsey with 25% of its drinking water and because its nowhere near a main road you don't ever get to see it, so we decided on the five mile walk overland and have a look. Although it was sunny there was a cool breeze blowing which made it excellent for walking and after about an hour and a half we arrived at the start of the two mile walk around the perimeter of the lake.

It turned out to be a very interesting and surprising walk with most of the way through wooded paths punctuated by beautiful views through the trees.
Guernsey keeps turning up surprises every year.
We made our way back on to the minor road and plotted a course down to Vazon Bay and some lunch.....

We soon dropped down onto the main coast road and Vazon Bay where we found a small cafe' and a good supply of Tuna sandwiches and tea. Close by was the bus stop to take us back to St Peter Port and after around nine miles of walking decided to call it a day.....

Better not overdo it, running in the morning.....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2016, 08:31 PM

The day started with the usual six mile run, thin cloud covered the rising sun but it was quite warm for six in the morning. I made my way down the steep hill at George Road and jogged my way along the deserted harbour with just the odd street cleaners and flower basket waterers for company. Occasionally I've spotted other runners along here but not this morning perhaps I'm a bit earlier than usual. I laboured up Grange Road and where the road levelled out a lady runner appeared coming in the opposite direction, she was very attractive in her skimpy purple shorts and figure hugging tee shirt with thighs like Tina Turner, I suppose they'd have to be, living round here with all the hills.

It's just less than two miles by road from the hotel down to the sea front in St Peter Port, but for a more exciting and adventurous journey you could take the coast path, at five miles long it's full of steep climbs, rocky paths and loads of steps both up and down, It's three hours of enjoyment, so this is what I did after breakfast.

This view is just 200 yards from the hotel....

After three miles you arrive at Fermain Bay, The tea and crab sandwiches are legendary...

OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

12-08-2016, 07:53 PM

Mrs Fox decided to go to town on the bus and do some shopping, being as I was getting to an interesting part in my latest book I said I would meet her later. I finished the chapter and because It was not a running day I had loads of spare energy, and so it began, 'Man versus bus' I would take the coastal path and race Mrs Fox to St Peter Port. Although I did very little running I did crack on and completed the 4.6 mile in one hour thirty nine minutes, which turned out about three hours faster than yesterday when I was accompanied by the same Mrs Fox.

At one O clock we attended an organ recital at the local church, although it was good I would have prefered it if I had recognised any of the pieces (so I could possibly have hummed along) Mrs Fox did have to nudge me a couple of times as I started to drift away....Don't you just love Bach.....

While gradually coming to life this morning a cruise ship passed by our window and anchored in the bay. What a coincidence, it was the P&O ship Britannia the same ship that we are due to board at the end of September for a cruise round the Canaries.....

While tear arsing along the Guernsey coast path there was enough time to take this photo as I approached St Peter Port.

Breaking News....

I decided to extend the holiday from ten days to fourteen, it's cost me a kings ransom to alter the flights, book another room for four more days and inform the car park at East Mids Airport that I'm not coming back just yet.....Oh well! you can't take it with you...
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

13-08-2016, 07:55 PM

It's turned out very hot today and with no running on a Saturday I had a lie in and a walk into Town after breakfast. Since we decided to stay another four days my medication will run out on Monday; most of the stuff I take is multi vitamins, Primrose Oil and Aspirin, all readily available over the counter. Unfortunately, Ramipril is not but I don't foresee any problems missing a few days. (If I stop blogging on Tuesday I was wrong)

There's this department store in St Peter Port called 'Creaseys' and on the very top floor is a restaurant with this Greek bloke who makes the most epic crab sandwiches, he also makes scrumtious Crab salads. So that was today's lunch.
Oh, I forgot to mention the splendid view of the harbour from the window, here it is, see what you think......

And this was the delicious Crab Salad....

They do this thing up a winding road every year, they see who can race their car up the hill the fastest. It's alright if you're a 'Petrol Head' we watched it for a while then got bored so moved on...This is an example of a typical race car...

It's more fun running up the hill if you ask me.
A couple of cruise ships paid us a visit today and with over three thousand passengers between them it makes Peter Port very busy indeed so we caught the bus back to the hotel and jumped into the pool for the rest of the day....

This was the MV Magellan the smaller of the two cruise ships. Around nine this morning they all queued to be brought to the shore by tenders, and at 13:00 hours they all queued on the quayside under a blazing sun to be taken back.....Soft sods....

OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

16-08-2016, 07:46 PM

Okay, I know other peoples holiday snaps are about as boring as other peoples wedding photos. You don't have a clue who the people are and probably don't give a Monkeys about some obscure resort at the other side of the world......So here are my last three.......

Shell beach on the island of Herm just off the coast of Guernsey..

On our way back to the harbour for our short boat ride back to Peter Port we came upon this seat calved out of a tree trunk. It's supposed to be good luck to have your picture taken sat in it....We will see...

And finally before Bob's Bits disappears without trace behind the ramblings of some Aussie bloke and his pals, this is the queue waiting to board the tiny ship that looks nowhere near big enough to accommodate all those people......

gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2016, 09:12 PM

enjoyed that Bob you should stop jogging and take up holiday writing! I can't believe you can get anywhere far on those spindly legs! How Mrs B puts up with it I don't know - my commiserations to her please. you're just an endorphin junkie!
but the box Kodak seems to be holding up well??
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2016, 09:23 PM

Great thread OGF ... I've enjoyed reading about what you and Mrs Fox have been up to whilst on holiday on Guersey ... and your pictures are lovely.

Thank you
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

17-08-2016, 09:26 AM

Thanks Mytle, it's nice to know that someone appreciates my little snippets, and I think Meg also has a brows on a morning......
I can always rely on Gumbud's support....Well, Mrs Fox can at any rate....Cheers Gummy.

The good weather seems to have deserted us this morning as we have been engulfed by a heavy sea fret, but over breakfast I heard that once it gets burned off it is going to get hot again. No running this morning so we've got a good walk planned to the 'Little Chapel' and then down to this remote little beach that we know for some lunch. As you would expect, it contains the most gorgeous little cafe'.....

It's goodbye to some friends we have met today; That's if they ever get off the island. Apparently planes can't land here when it's foggy because the runway is low tech and doesn't have any modern GPS guidance systems installed, pilot needs to see where he is going.........

Due to popular demand (well two of you anyway) pictures will follow if this fog lifts. Ta Ta for now.....
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2016, 04:21 PM

OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

17-08-2016, 07:35 PM

Since we decided to stay an extra four days we had to move out of our favourite room with a beautiful sea view into a room at the back overlooking the pool. Just as good a room but we can't see the horizon, but it didn't matter this morning with visibility down to a few hundred yards. It was still warm though and after breakfast a hazy sun made an appearance.

Another good opportunity for a long walk saw us head out for the four mile walk to the little chapel. The chapel is choc o block with shells and pieces of pottery stuck to every surface. Apparently a monk made it his life's work to create this beautiful work of art.
The chapel is so small you can only fit around ten people in it and it's very difficult to get decent photographs without some random holiday maker appearing in the shot.

And to make it more difficult it has been undergoing some restoration work and has been covered head to toe in scaffolding and polythene sheeting so I'm afraid this is the best I can do under the circumstances......

I know what you're thinking and when I get home I will post some proper photo's of the chapel that were taken previously.
So after visiting a clock and jewelry shop (Mrs Fox loves jewelry) we left the scene in search of some lunch and while walking down to Petit Bot Bay in the bottom of a tree covered valley I thought you might like this fine example of a 'Cuckoo Pint'

After a grueling walk down a steep road with no walkway and large Ford Galaxy's with excited families speeding by trying to be the first to occupy the best places on the small beach we eventually reached the tearoom at the bottom of the valley.
The ham sandwich was full of fat and gristle and the milk left globules of white stuff floating in my tea. Fortunately it was Mrs Fox who had the ham while I had the fresh crab and it was delicious....Unlucky Mrs Fox....

From the photo it looks deserted cold and foggy, but I can assure you that it was very sticky and warm with loads of people on the beach. It's just that you can't see them....

Page 47 of 190 « First < 37 45 46 47 48 49 57 97 147 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top