Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2015, 06:19 PM

Re: Water Meter Savings?

We have a DD with the water and its £22 a month for 10 mths.
There are two of us
My fear with a metre is that once its in you cant take it out.
I think £22 a month is OK as I do a lot of washing and that's
with a bath everyday so I am happy to keep my DD going
Marj
England
Marj is female  Marj has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2015, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by cranberry ->
Wow !! That's a hefty water bill!
Actually mine are not that bad, forgot mine are spread over 8 months not 10

Phewwww feel better now.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2015, 06:46 PM

I was talking to my neighbour about getting a water meter and she told me with Severn Trent you can opt to return to unmetered water if you are not happy with the results.
I don't know if is the same with every water authority, it will be in the T&C but it sounds a sensible option.

You have the right to go back to an unmetered charge if you tell us that you want to. If your meter was fitted from the 1 April 2015 onwards you must do this within 24 months of your meter being installed or within 30 days of your fourth bill. At least two of your bills will be based on an actual meter reading so that you can work out how much water you have used and whether the meter has benefitted you or not.

If your meter was fitted prior to 1 April 2015 you must contact us within 12 months of your meter being installed or within 30 days of receiving your second bill.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2015, 08:14 PM

We will resist until they force us, a neighbour had one fitted and shortly after her husbands health deteriorated so she had tons of washing everyday and nearly bankrupted them with the water charges. So not for us as we have 2 loads a day almost every day 4 or 5 showers and dogs have a bath couple of times a week too.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2015, 02:54 AM

I have also been contemplating having a water meter installed as I live alone and, from my research, you can revert back before 2 years have elapsed if you're not happy with the new rates, so previous posts are correct.

I live next door to family who use the washing machine every day and whose water consumption must be a lot more than mine, but my water rates are £44+ per month.

I use my washing machine a maximum of twice a week which is the greatest consumption, then there are showers, boiled kettles and use of the toilet, so I'm pretty convinced now to get a water meter to save me some dosh.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2015, 09:22 AM

£44 a month ! That's extortionate. Does that include include sewage rates as well? Even if it did it would be expensive.
In your case a meter sounds a good idea.

(My water charges are about £170 pa and waste is £190 pa. The standing charge for a water meter is £146 pa, so only a saving if you don't use a lot of water)
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2015, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
£44 a month ! That's extortionate.
I currently pay £52.09 a month over 10 months and that does not include a charge for surface water which is is piped away separately into the stream so is free of charge.

It is worth everybody checking exactly where their surface water goes, many may be paying for the service they are not using.

I only found out by chance and alerted my neighbours. We had been paying for the service for years.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2015, 08:35 PM

Not sure I am saving as I seem to buying a lot more other liquid instead and being charged extortionate fees forrit *hic*.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top