Join for free
Page 15 of 98 « First < 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 65 > Last »
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2017, 08:20 AM

Re: Premium Bonds

Just seen that NS&I have reduced the prizes on PBS now.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2017, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->

Well the BoE cut it to 0.25% after Brexit...still a better rate JUST
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2017, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
That is why I revived this thread, see here: http://www.over50sforum.com/showthre...=28251&page=14
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2017, 11:38 AM

I have £50 a month going out on DD to buy new bonds for the draw, but might, at the end of this year, stop the payments. I can afford to be without that £50, and hope for the small chance of winning, but if they keep reducing the prizes and the odds, then may reconsider.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2017, 10:27 PM

Just put a wedge into premium bonds, it should make more than the 0.1% than it's doing in it's present location and it remains 'Instant Access'....Anyway, I booked a cruise on the strength of it......Rock on.....
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2017, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Just put a wedge into premium bonds, it should make more than the 0.1% than it's doing in it's present location and it remains 'Instant Access'....Anyway, I booked a cruise on the strength of it......Rock on.....
Where ya crusin to OGF?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2017, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Where ya crusin to OGF?
Sorry for taking so long to reply Realist.....
We haven't actually booked a cruise yet, our friends won't fly, and so we are limited to the choice of cruises we can do. There is talk about the fijords, but I fancy the Caribbean next and my Daughter (who will fly) and her partner would like to go with us, so it looks like the Caribbean sometime next April.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2017, 11:08 AM

Ooh we just realised we won £25 now that might not seem much but if we had left it in our savings account we would have got just £2.50 so it's a good return for us.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2017, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Ooh we just realised we won £25 now that might not seem much but if we had left it in our savings account we would have got just £2.50 so it's a good return for us.
A savings account is not really the right comparison to make when assessing the merits of premium bonds TBH.

The proposal really is, can my money be invested somewhere to produce bigger returns than the returns I am likely to get using Premium Bonds?

The answer in most cases will likely be YES, you can invest your money in many places that will provide a better return than Premium Bonds. A Savings Account is not an investment as such.

With both Premium Bonds and Savings Accounts you are basically saying "I'm too lazy to learn about basic money investing and instead I will give my hard earned money to someone else who will invest it themselves, take the profits from that investment and give me back very little in return"

Last year I invested about £3000 from my private SIPP in some shares in an energy company. The shares were less than 1p each. A few months ago those shares rose to over 7p a share. My investment was then worth about £25,000.

Took less than 1 min effort to buy the shares in the first place. Of course some you win and some you lose, but managing your own money is far better than giving it away to someone else.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

03-08-2017, 08:36 PM

That's all well and good Realist, but some of us don't have the inclination or the knowledge to stick our nest egg in some company that we hope will do well in the future. Although not what you would consider rich, I have enough money to live comfortably for the rest of my natural.

Upon retiring I did invest a large amount, and after five years it had practically doubled, but with the onset of Brexit and the markets started to take a dive I cashed everything in and placed it in a safe haven. Interest is so low at the moment, and it doesn't look like getting any better in the forseeable, so just for a bit of fun I invested a stash in premium bonds, it's absolutely safe and I can access it whenever I want, and who knows, I might end up like Julie and win a few quid......Well done Julie...

Page 15 of 98 « First < 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 65 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top