Join for free
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2018, 08:25 AM

Purer foods becoming more available

Is this becoming just too crazy or what??

purerfoods??
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2018, 05:19 PM

Re: Purer foods becoming more available

The article is about the US. In the UK we have had organic, gluten free available for years. I can't eat gluten or anything contaminated with it, so am very happy about the expansion. I was having juice from tesco's organic oranges (which they have unfortunately discontinued) and it was amazing. Tasted far better than the regular pesticided ones.

I'm not sure whether we have antibiotic-free foods. But they should definitely ban their use, not because of fussy eaters but because of the risk of bacterial resistance through overuse in intensive farming. People get told it's their fault for not finishing a course but really it's abuse in the farming sector that's flipped the switch.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2018, 06:56 PM

No it’s NOT crazy. We also have had gluten free, antibiotic and hormone free , peanut free, soy free , corn free, grain free, dairy free, preservative free, etc., for quite some time in Canada. Years ago people used to roll their eyes at those who needed to avoid certain foods but now food allergies and sensitivities are getting recognized by big food companies so times are changing.

Years ago I had a friend who told me he was deathly allergic to peanuts. He said he would instantly choke and die if he had even one. Eight years later he died from it. Everyday he used to go to the same restaurant to eat the same salad he got each day. He knew the ingredients and never had a problem with it.
That day the restaurant had run out of the oil they normally used and replaced it with peanut oil. He died within minutes and I still miss him to this day. He is one reason I got the degree I did.

I’m celiac too Annie and gf foods have sure come a long way.
Years ago anything gluten tasted like cardboard.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2018, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
No it’s NOT crazy. We also have had gluten free, antibiotic and hormone free , peanut free, soy free , corn free, grain free, dairy free, preservative free, etc., for quite some time in Canada. Years ago people used to roll their eyes at those who needed to avoid certain foods but now food allergies and sensitivities are getting recognized by big food companies so times are changing.

Years ago I had a friend who told me he was deathly allergic to peanuts. He said he would instantly choke and die if he had even one. Eight years later he died from it. Everyday he used to go to the same restaurant to eat the same salad he got each day. He knew the ingredients and never had a problem with it.
That day the restaurant had run out of the oil they normally used and replaced it with peanut oil. He died within minutes and I still miss him to this day. He is one reason I got the degree I did.

what a sobering story bratti - thanks for the post!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->

That's so tragic about your friend. It's really difficult to know who to trust when eating out. I have a serious nut allergy and have been hospitalised during anaphylaxis in the past. It's a really horrible experience knowing you could die any minute, you're just thinking of the pain and wanting it to end.

I really miss gluten but it's been a lifesaver to give up. You must get some good substitutes in Canada, it still tastes of cardboard here!
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 02:58 AM

Thanks Annie, he was a really good friend. We all hung around together as a group.

I didn’t realize you have a serious nut allergy. That must be VERY difficult when buying foods of any kind due to cross contamination. How frightening.
I actually DO understand that feeling of your throat closing in since I have a penicillin allergy which reacts the same.

Can you get a variety of gluten free flours and starches ?
I’d be happy to help you out. I’ve got some awesome recipes that you will LOVE.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

11-09-2018, 09:36 AM

Bratti a gluten free baking thread would definitely be a great idea, although I must admit I have always been afraid of baking bread. I think you need a bread machine and it sounds terribly complicated!

My skills currently stretch to gluten and nut free banana bread which I tried to make healthier with various ingredients (even grated carrots!)

My allergy is pretty complex as I have worked out it's a combination allergy with gluten needing to be present as well as nuts to set me into shock. I only worked that out after I stopped gluten because it was making me so sick. Weird how these things work. I've avoided a hospital admission for 11 years now and have been gluten free for 7 so I think that must have been the trigger. Before I went gluten free I was regularly having scares and having to take antihistamines daily.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top