Join for free
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2016, 09:09 AM

Re: Contactless card query

Pesta

There is something very not right about this story. You were right to question the girl.

The card reader should have been in plain sight.

Your card should NEVER EVER leave your sight.

The only time I would hand my card to someone if when the waiter/waitress comes to the table with a remote/portable card reader in which case they put the card into it right in front of you, type in the payment amount and then hand you the card. Again, the card never leaves your sight.

You should know that it takes a split second (literally) to "skim" a card. That is to sweep it through a tiny card reading device. It would be quicker than paying using the contactless method where there is always a 1-2 second delay whilst the details are read and processed.

It is very possible that they are skimming people's cards under the counter. Such fraud and crime is very prevalent.
They could even have a camera under there constantly recording so they could hold your card under it and flip it over for the security number on the back. The waiter could even just have their mobile phone recording under there for that purpose. With all the details from front and back recorded to freeze frame at a later time they could then use your details fraudulently.

I would personally log into your bank account (assuming you have online banking) a few times a day to see if any odd transactions appear and if so contact the bank immediately.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2016, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Pesta

There is something very not right about this story. You were right to question the girl.

The card reader should have been in plain sight.

Your card should NEVER EVER leave your sight.

The only time I would hand my card to someone if when the waiter/waitress comes to the table with a remote/portable card reader in which case they put the card into it right in front of you, type in the payment amount and then hand you the card. Again, the card never leaves your sight.

You should know that it takes a split second (literally) to "skim" a card. That is to sweep it through a tiny card reading device. It would be quicker than paying using the contactless method where there is always a 1-2 second delay whilst the details are read and processed.

It is very possible that they are skimming people's cards under the counter. Such fraud and crime is very prevalent.
They could even have a camera under there constantly recording so they could hold your card under it and flip it over for the security number on the back. The waiter could even just have their mobile phone recording under there for that purpose. With all the details from front and back recorded to freeze frame at a later time they could then use your details fraudulently.

I would personally log into your bank account (assuming you have online banking) a few times a day to see if any odd transactions appear and if so contact the bank immediately.
Would that be worth doing for £20 purchases?

I thought skimming was only worth it if your PIN number was compromised(ie: camera recording you)?

I do agree that your card should never leave your sight for these very reasons.
Mr Magoo
London
Mr Magoo is male  Mr Magoo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2016, 09:52 AM

Let us not forget the reason for the use of contactless transactions. It is to save time. If you are in a queue of people wanting to pay you might be glad of this innovation.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2016, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
Would that be worth doing for £20 purchases?
You misunderstand the situation.

If I know your long card number, and the card expiry date and the 3 digit security number on the back, I can go off to the internet and buy anything I want.

Contactless doesn't some into it.

Sometimes people have online passwords set up so that when they buy anything, the website pops up that additional screen asking for letters from your password. However many websites don't do that and many people don't have passwords set up anyway. Only yesterday I bought some theatre tickets online and it didn't ask for any password.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2016, 10:24 AM

I have used contactless quite a bit and every time, they have asked first and the card has not left my sight.

Btw, did you know that you can contact your bank and tell them that you don't want a contactless card?
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2016, 10:45 AM

You misunderstand the situation.

If I know your long card number, and the card expiry date and the 3 digit security number on the back, I can go off to the internet and buy anything I want.

Contactless doesn't some into it.

Sometimes people have online passwords set up so that when they buy anything, the website pops up that additional screen asking for letters from your password. However many websites don't do that and many people don't have passwords set up anyway. Only yesterday I bought some theatre tickets online and it didn't ask for any password.
I thought online traders had to deliver to the card holders address.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2016, 11:30 AM

I thought online traders had to deliver to the card holders address.
No, you can ask for any other delivery address for example as you could for a birthday gift?
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK

07-10-2016, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
No, you can ask for any other delivery address for example as you could for a birthday gift?
True but whenever I've done that an RBS pop up appears asking for security verification.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

07-10-2016, 03:46 PM

True but whenever I've done that an RBS pop up appears asking for security verification.
Yep and as I said earlier that's because some people have set up that particular security element. Not all have.

Equally not all websites have the software that pops up that verification screen. There are a lot of exceptions.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK

07-10-2016, 04:06 PM

Yep and as I said earlier that's because some people have set up that particular security element. Not all have.

Equally not all websites have the software that pops up that verification screen. There are a lot of exceptions.
I think it maybe the individual bank's conditions as I didn't ask.
Also if I want to transfer money to a new payee I have to have my card and a card reader to verify the transaction.

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top