Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2017, 10:39 PM

Re: Maybe there is no Dark Matter?

The only way humans interface with the world, or indeed the universe, is via five senses.
(1) Sight
(2) Sound
(3) Smell
(4) Taste
(5) touch

Just because something doesn't register on one of our senses doesn't mean it's not there.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2017, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
The only way humans interface with the world, or indeed the universe, is via five senses.
(1) Sight
(2) Sound
(3) Smell
(4) Taste
(5) touch

Just because something doesn't register on one of our senses doesn't mean it's not there.
There are a lot more human senses than five (balance, direction, hunger, time, temperature?) I read somewhere there are over 20 but your point is none the less right.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2017, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
There are a lot more human senses than five (balance, direction, hunger, time, temperature?) I read somewhere there are over 20 but your point is none the less right.
Thanks Bruce but........Aren't other 'Lesser' senses made up from combinations of the original five.
Without the five major senses all information the body needs to exist would cease. There would be no balance, but without the ability to balance you could still exist.

A sense of direction is also superfluous, most women can survive quite happily without it.

Hunger is an internal function for survival but can only be performed safely with the help of taste.

Temperature is regulated and monitored by the sensitivity of the skin and internal organs.

I still maintain that our perception of the world and beyond can only be identified by one or more of our five senses.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2017, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by oldgreyfox ->
thanks bruce but........aren't other 'lesser' senses made up from combinations of the original five.
Without the five major senses all information the body needs to exist would cease. There would be no balance, but without the ability to balance you could still exist.

a sense of direction is also superfluous, most women can survive quite happily without it.
hunger is an internal function for survival but can only be performed safely with the help of taste.

Temperature is regulated and monitored by the sensitivity of the skin and internal organs.

I still maintain that our perception of the world and beyond can only be identified by one or more of our five senses.

60fox
London
60fox is male  60fox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2017, 10:09 AM

Where as I agree with the Senses mentioned across some replies, call me weird, but I still feel there is something all around us, all of the time. Just because we cant sense it makes us not aware its there. It could be in a form we are unable to detect. Its rather like a 'dog whistle'. It can be blown and no human will ever hear it, but its there !
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

18-01-2017, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by 60fox ->
Where as I agree with the Senses mentioned across some replies, call me weird, but I still feel there is something all around us, all of the time. Just because we cant sense it makes us not aware its there. It could be in a form we are unable to detect. Its rather like a 'dog whistle'. It can be blown and no human will ever hear it, but its there !
Isn't this just a sense of presence Fox?
At a health spa Mrs Fox used to visit they had a flotation chamber where you were immersed in shallow water and when the door was closed there was no sound or light and she reported not even knowing which way round she was...Would this be what it is like if you lost all of your senses. Absolutely no input.....This sense of presence, I believe, is like feedback in an amplifier when it only receives it's own signal in the absence of an external one.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2017, 11:40 AM

Thanks Bruce but........Aren't other 'Lesser' senses made up from combinations of the original five.

A sense of direction is also superfluous, most women can survive quite happily without it.

Hunger is an internal function for survival but can only be performed safely with the help of taste.

I disagree
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

18-01-2017, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I disagree
I'm only speaking from experience Bruce, being as I've been a resident in this body for over sixty years and got to know a little bit of how it works..........
60fox
London
60fox is male  60fox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2017, 04:39 PM

Isn't this just a sense of presence Fox?
At a health spa Mrs Fox used to visit they had a flotation chamber where you were immersed in shallow water and when the door was closed there was no sound or light and she reported not even knowing which way round she was...Would this be what it is like if you lost all of your senses. Absolutely no input.....This sense of presence, I believe, is like feedback in an amplifier when it only receives it's own signal in the absence of an external one.
Yes, I like what you say here , I was going to mention a flotation chamber, but never having had the experience, it is good of you to share how Mrs Fox felt. I'm sure your right, your own signal feeding back. Its a strange one, maybe there is nothing there its just how I feel.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top