Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
GillyT
Nottingham, England
GillyT is female  GillyT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2016, 08:29 PM

The climate, droughts and high temps kill the world's bees

"Climate disruption and billions of dying bees are a deadly concoction — global food security is in dire jeopardy."

The following report is dated 2014...... it is 2016 and I would love to have an update , although I don't suppose there has been any improvement in this dire situation.

There are many people who do not understand the life and death importance of our humble honey bee. We have to find a way to secure their survival without using chemicals. If we cannot do this, then it is difficult to know how the human being can survive without the honey bee.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-ree...b_4670475.html
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2016, 09:19 PM

Re: The climate, droughts and high temps kill the world's bees

Gilly there seems to have been no shortage of bees here this year, my garden has been full of them thankfully .

I know the verroa mite had a dreadful effect a couple of years ago but the bees seem to have recovered...
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2016, 10:18 PM

Gilly, note that your article is almost 3 yrs old now.

An alternative view on the Bee-apocalypse conspiracy

https://www.geneticliteracyproject.o...ator-collapse/

"Despite claims to the contrary, bee populations aren’t declining; they’re rising. According to statistics kept by the US Department of Agriculture, Statistics Canada and the UN Food and Agriculture Organization, honeybee populations in the United States, Canada and Europe have been stable or growing for the two decades neonics have been on the market"

"Said simply: Honeybees are not on the verge of extinction or irreversible decline and the world will not face mass starvation"
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2016, 11:13 PM

It has to be said that Australia's bees have been exported all over the world to prop up local populations affected by the verroa mite. At the moment the mite, like a lot of the world's endemic animal and plant diseases, is not present here due to strict quarantine laws.
GillyT
Nottingham, England
GillyT is female  GillyT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2016, 12:16 AM

I was aware of the age of the report, in fact I did mention it in my post, but I did express interest in any updates that may be available, and I thank those who obliged with further more encouraging information.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2016, 12:21 AM

Gilly, my gardening magazines in the summer were saying about the decline of bees nearly every week. They seem to be blaming over-use of chemical sprays mostly I believe.

More and more chemicals are being withdrawn from sale to the public every year. I am not sure where this leaves the farmers though. They tried to ban Glyphosphate but I believe it has been granted an extension at the moment, although I am not up to date with the latest info.

Another factor in the bee decline could be more people have done away with front gardens and flowerbeds, they have hard standing for multiple cars now. They have said this also contributes to more flooding now too.
Modern places often have smaller gardens nowadays, and even they many slab them over to achieve 'low maintenance' gardens.

Many years ago, many people kept a few hens and grew their own veg, and bees were always in their plants.
Many of the old houses where I used to live still had a pig sty in the back garden even. Now more people don't seem to want all the bother, and what is left has mostly been sprayed anyway.
All the wildflowers on grass verges and railway lines are sprayed too.

I wish I could remember more of all the articles now. I think they did experiments and discovered certain chemicals made bees completely lose their sense of direction. It was interesting.
bridget
melbourne, australia
bridget is female 

04-12-2016, 05:15 AM

There is a discussion going on here about allowing the use of Bumble Bees in Tasmania in green house propagation.
They were illegally introduced into Tassie about 20 years ago.Haven't reached the mainland yet.

The argument seems to bee..they are here anyway..lets make use of them.

Slippery slope.
http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/...18/3592865.htm
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-2...matoes/7351008
60fox
London
60fox is male  60fox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2017, 04:41 AM

Wi - Fi and RadioSignals are Killing the planets Bee's
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2017, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by 60fox ->
No they're not
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2017, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by 60fox ->
I doubt it, personally I blAme it on raNdom capital leTTer's and apostrophe's. Bees are very susceptible to attacks of this kind.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top