Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2016, 07:50 AM

What do YOU do for the environment?

I have been giving this some thought as the New Year approaches once we have got the dreaded festive season out of the way .
(The thought of all that unnecessary food , blantant consumerism and packing makes me feel quite queasy )
I don't do very much apart from sorting my rubbish and having a compost heap and feeding the birds .
The garden which is in a sorry state is however perfect for wildlife ( fortunately a high fence keeps the neighbours at bay)
However I want to do more any tips?
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2016, 07:58 AM

Re: What do YOU do for the environment?

Not a lot really Muddy, we all have a Rubbish Bin, Recyling Bin, Slop bin, glass bin.

Any leftovers like, mash potato, bacon rind etc. I put out for my birds as they get fed twice a day by me, and the road I live in, everyone puts out bowls of food for the Foxes, Badgers and Deers.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2016, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I have been giving this some thought as the New Year approaches once we have got the dreaded festive season out of the way .
(The thought of all that unnecessary food , blantant consumerism and packing makes me feel quite queasy )
I don't do very much apart from sorting my rubbish and having a compost heap and feeding the birds .
The garden which is in a sorry state is however perfect for wildlife ( fortunately a high fence keeps the neighbours at bay)
However I want to do more any tips?
Don't buy anything...don't eat nothing..don't use anything...life will be short and boring but you will have achieved your goal and feel nice about it
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2016, 10:14 AM

As above with refuse and feeding birds but not in my garden down the lane . I am also a 'voluntary litter picker' and carry a doggy bags with me when on walks anyway which I use to collect any rubbish I find and put it in the village waste bin.
Bottles and cans can kill small creatures.

I also collect bits of wire when in the fields and secure them in the hedge to prevent farm stock and animals from getting caught on them.

Lastly. I keep an eye on the local badger set for signs of disturbance and free sheep with heads caught in the wire fence (15 this year).
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2016, 10:20 AM

I drive a car that costs £515 to tax because of emissions.
I have two old diesel cement mixers on site.
My company has 4 (mobile pollutants) diesel vans.

I recycle tins and paper.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2016, 10:43 AM

Apparently the British public generate 300,000 tonnes ofwrapping paper alone over Christmas !!!
How many trees gave their lives for that!
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2016, 10:51 AM

Is it true that wrapping paper isn't recyclable?
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2016, 11:13 AM

I think we are in a lose situation which cannot be changed. I haven't bought many presents this year and haven't wrapped any of them.. so did my bit in saving trees as I hate all the packaging we make.
If you think about it though: all the people, in these industries, will lose their jobs if we all stop using what they make, so will become unemployed and need benefits to live.
There are too many humans on this planet, and the more they increase the more damage they will do to the environment... but which government is going to put restrictions on items that keep them in a paid job?
Human greed is what causes the problems because we have all learned to want more that we actually need.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2016, 11:53 AM

We reuse wrapping paper, the same brown paper has been doing the rounds for about five years, we swapped to brown when we realised it ironed nicely for next year.

Christmas cards are chopped up to make pretty labels or a piece of white paper glued into it for a new message next year.

I've banned putting anything out for the birds this year the cats see it as an easy hunting ground and I'm fed up of seeing poor little feathered things left to rot in the grounds.

We don't have a Christmas tree that always looks like such a waste of a tree, we tried the living ones but they always seem to fail within a few weeks.

We don't use a huge amount of petrol despite having 4x4s I've seen people in small cars popping up the shop using more petrol than us who reserve it for necessary journeys.

I've just stopped recycling with our bins, they have finally made it so hard to do I've said no more, I do take a bag of paper and card to work and put it in their recycling bins but the ones here are too difficult to use now. I'm not alone I see many others are putting theirs in the normal bins too.

I rarely buy new anything it's all recycled up cycled etc so I think I do my bit really.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2016, 12:01 PM

I used to volunteer with my local Natural History groups doing tasks to improve habitat for wildlife and plants, most weekends were spent doing this as a family.

Did do feeding at my local patch to encourage wildfowl in winter times, also have taken part in wildlife surveys for years, everything from birds to Dormice.

Best success has been with restoring habitat for Otters, i now see the results first hand.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top