Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2017, 12:30 PM

Re: Drowning in plastic

There is a programe tonight on Sky News at 8.00pm
The Plastic Tide.

This is terribly serious scientists calculate that by 2050 the weight of plastic in the sea will weigh more than all the fish.
we are killing our planet.
Plastic doesn't not go away it breaks down over decades but remains in the form of micro plastic which is eaten by fish and eventually by us.

Apparently China Indonesia and the Philippines are responsible for 40% of all plastic in the sea.
These are these are countries that have no moral code in waste disposal.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2017, 05:30 PM

I have a feeling that I read somewhere that someone had developed biodegradable plastics, so I had a google:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biodegradable_plastic

Do you like my googlies? (With apologies to Fred Trueman!)
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2017, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
So much of the plastic used is unnecessary, I spend ages trying to extricate goods from plastic packaging most recently a toothbrush and a plaster.

Why on earth do plasters now need to be individually encased in plastic, try opening one when you live alone and have a cut on your thumb
One of my pet gripes Meg. When you cut your finger, the last thing you need is to fiddle around with that bit of plastic around a plaster.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2017, 05:40 PM

Perhaps food suppliers could be forced to help the situation by supplying their products in suitably sized packaging. How many times do we open a pack of something only to find it is half full.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2017, 11:52 AM

We contaminate the seas with plastic, we contaminate the air with toxic gases, we have caused many species of animals to be extinct, we remove large swathes of rain forest. It strikes me that we have made a proper b@lls up of this planet and I'm beginning to think it might be better off without us.....

It was a good youtube clip Muddy but I had to play it several times because the words went by too fast for me to read...

Surely it would be easy to find alternatives to plastic for some things, but would everyone be happy to pay exorbitant prices or do without all together.
It all boils down to money!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2017, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Surely it would be easy to find alternatives to plastic for some things
I have already suggested this sort of stuff:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biodegradable_plastic
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2017, 03:52 PM

And now we're eating it in fish, thousands of bits of it! I wonder why they don't use static electricity to try to remove it when processing.
Would that work I wonder?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2017, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
And now we're eating it in fish, thousands of bits of it! I wonder why they don't use static electricity to try to remove it when processing.
Would that work I wonder?

It was in yesterdays paper about mercury in sea fish. Apparently the bigger the fish the worse the problem is, because the big fish eat the small ones so have their mercury as well as their own.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2017, 03:56 PM

It's not safe to be alive!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top