Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Cedronella
england
Cedronella is female  Cedronella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2017, 01:40 PM

Re: Have You Ever Tried Rye Bread?

I use spelt flour or dinkel wheat (love that name) as some call it, but my friend who has a wheat allergy and coeliac disease cannot.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2017, 01:55 PM

Pastrami on rye----great. Eat the pastrami and feed the rye to the fish.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2017, 05:55 PM

I love the sourness of Rye Bread (I'm a savoury rather than a sweet person) - especially smothered with salted butter and a really, really strong cheddar - MMMMMMM!
Knockoutblow
Lancashire
Knockoutblow is male  Knockoutblow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2017, 07:43 AM

I get lidll German rye bread, I think it's best if you toast it twice ( in toaster) let it cool then butter it and add you toppings in an open sandwich like someone said earlie.
It very good for you apparently.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2017, 08:39 AM

It contains gluten so it's not good for anyone with coeliac disease.
I have just read some where that the problems with bread are being cause by the Chorley wood process ( someone mentioned on here too Realist I think please correct me if I am wrong ) introduced in 1661
This breadmaking technique uses three times as much yeast as before and so reduces the time needed for fermentation. However it irritates the gut making it very sensitive.
Also read that freezing bread ( I do this ) causes a chemical change which also upsets the lining of the gut.
I love bread but must say I am a bit afraid of it now as its appears to cause so many tummy upsets.
Yet it used to be the staff of life
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2017, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
It contains gluten so it's not good for anyone with coeliac disease.
I have just read some where that the problems with bread are being cause by the Chorley wood process ( someone mentioned on here too Realist I think please correct me if I am wrong ) introduced in 1661
This breadmaking technique uses three times as much yeast as before and so reduces the time needed for fermentation. However it irritates the gut making it very sensitive.
Also read that freezing bread ( I do this ) causes a chemical change which also upsets the lining of the gut.
I love bread but must say I am a bit afraid of it now as its appears to cause so many tummy upsets.
Yet it used to be the staff of life
I know what you mean Muddy, but I feel the same about most mass produced food. What do they put in bread that makes it stay fresh for so much longer than it used to? If there is something in the ingredients of any food, that you wouldn't put in when making it yourself, why is it there?
I think that, if you want to stay healthy, you should grow your own food, keep a few chickens for eggs and eat a mainly vegetarian diet..... but who has time to do that?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2017, 09:07 AM

I suppose but what more enjoyable than a piece of toast and marmalade in the morning?
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2017, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I suppose but what more enjoyable than a piece of toast and marmalade in the morning?
You don't have to tell me, I love bread! I am hoping that Meg will one day invite us all round to sample her lovely home made bread, with all the different flavours.
She tells me it is easy but I cant even manage good bread with a bread maker!
callistra
london uk
callistra is female  callistra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2017, 05:27 PM

One company makes a nice Rossisky rye bread that is not too dry. Many seem to find rye better toasted.
There is Spelt bread which is easier to digest.
Also sprouted breads, they are fairly moist, made with wheat, spelt or rye flours so there is choice.
Some brands of Gluten free breads are popular and they make bagels, rolls and pitta breads as well.
So there are a few options out there.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2017, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Rye bread is a bit sour. Morrison's Spelt and Rye bread is delicious though!
I'll second that. Lovely and very filling.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top