Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Goldielocks
Spain
Goldielocks is female  Goldielocks has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2017, 10:55 AM

Re: The country that ditched us, now really wants us back.

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
My decision to leave the EU Goldie, was not a decision to have nothing to do with 'Johnny Foreigner' I also love those bloody 'Johnny Foreigners' and I hope we can still be friends...
I know OGF. My comments are not aimed at individuals. I like most members on here. Is just my view too

Besides you are an ex postie like my hubby x
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2017, 12:45 PM

We are still going to be trading with the EU after Brexit. That won't change, just the terms will be more complex & dearer and the process won't be as easy. But we won't ever stop trading with Europe.

I don't agree that we ditched Australia and New Zealand. For decades Antipodeans have come here to work and earn lots more money than they would back home. Anyone with relevant British heritage can apply to stay here. Many have done so and earned top salaries as professionals paying hardly any tax as contractors and then brought houses back home. They have been trying to close the contractor/employee gap for years. So from April 17 the rules are getting really tight and it will be less possible for contractors to declare self-employment or limited company status and benefit from reduced tax.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2017, 12:51 PM

Hi

The much vaunted trade deals with the Commonwealth.

India is now off the list, they demanded more Immigration rights to the UK for their citizens.

New Zealand wants agricultural exports to the UK, particularly lamb, which will devastate our lamb industry.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2017, 01:01 PM

I'm in Cardiff this weekend and made a delicious lamb stew with Welsh lamb which was very reasonably priced. For some reason we can't seem to move lamb around our own country because you can't buy welsh lamb everywhere. I have however seen Irish lamb in the supermarket! I haven't seen New Zealand lamb for a long time. I remember the adverts, was it in the 80's?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2017, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
We are still going to be trading with the EU after Brexit. That won't change, just the terms will be more complex & dearer and the process won't be as easy. But we won't ever stop trading with Europe.
Correct.

However, whereas the terms of trading may be more complex and dearer initially, I am sure that before long more mutually beneficial terms will be agreed.

After all, we import more from them than they import from us.

If they make things difficult, I believe that the end result will turn out to be more difficult for them than for us.

The EU politicians will no doubt want to 'punish' us for leaving, but the people and the businessmen of European countries will, I'm sure, take a different view!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2017, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I'm in Cardiff this weekend and made a delicious lamb stew with Welsh lamb which was very reasonably priced. For some reason we can't seem to move lamb around our own country because you can't buy welsh lamb everywhere. I have however seen Irish lamb in the supermarket! I haven't seen New Zealand lamb for a long time. I remember the adverts, was it in the 80's?
Hi

Loads of New Zealand lamb around here.

Welsh Leg of Lamb, £12 a kilo.

New Zealand £7 a kilo.

New Zealand Leg, Frozen, wholesale, £ 5.10 a kilo.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

11-03-2017, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Correct.

However, whereas the terms of trading may be more complex and dearer initially, I am sure that before long more mutually beneficial terms will be agreed.

After all, we import more from them than they import from us.

If they make things difficult, I believe that the end result will turn out to be more difficult for them than for us.

The EU politicians will no doubt want to 'punish' us for leaving, but the people and the businessmen of European countries will, I'm sure, take a different view!
Hi

I have to disagree.

My reasons for doing so are as follows.

The bulk of our exports to the EU are services.

These are not covered by WTO Rules.

The EU have already said we will lose passporting to these services, their win, our lose.

It means a very substantial loss in terms of Taxation here in the UK.

Secondly, the they export more to us then we do to them so it will hurt them more argument.

That is deeply flawed,

The EU is much bigger than the UK, in terms of GDP, which is the way these things are calculated, tariffs will hit our Economy 4 times harder than it will hit the EU Economy.

Thirdly

Our stupid successive Governments have sold off our stakes in Industry to artificially keep taxation down.

Germany and France haven't.

Nissan and Vauxhall are effectively controlled by the French Government.

Airbus, a very profitable company, we sold our share in it, it is a major employer here, now owned by EU Countries, they can just transfer production there.

Simple, stupid mistakes, worse then Gordon Brown selling our Gold Reserves.

Last, but by no means least is this.

The EU Countries provide fantastic amounts of support to their Exporters, we do not.

An example, food exports.

The EU Exporters are covered by Internationally Acceptable Certificates, fully compliant with WTO Rules.

The UK does not provide these free of charge, so when we leave our food producers will have to pay for them.

What does that mean?

Well in terms of one local business, which exports cheese and butter to the EU, it means additional charges of £1.9 million a year.

Enough for the owner to say sod that for a game of marbles, so 360 people more on the dole.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2017, 02:51 PM

I'd quite like to see more Indians here, lovely people I know at least three already here desperately want their families with them but can't earn enough to make it happen. Our rules seem unfair to me as the amount has gone up but I no sensible way. I think though if we just have patience deals will made eventually, at the moment everyone is just making opening gambits. It'll change over time.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2017, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Quite interesting article about a revitalised Commonwealth.

Many respected economists warn it's laughable to think the Commonwealth could ever replace Britain's access to the EU single market, several countries in Africa are deeply sceptical about the benefits of free trade anyway and the Government's opponents have decried the push as "delusional nonsense".

But for Australia, the mother country's current interest in the Commonwealth could be an advantage.

When it finally leaves the EU, Britain will be keen to ink as many trade deals as quickly as possible to prove itself on the world stage.

The country that ditched us, now really wants us back.

Some officials think it's an opportunity for the Australian Government to negotiate hard and get more of what it wants.
Bruce I think we treated Australia, NZ and other commonwealth countries very badly when we joined the Common Market giving little thought to how our actions would affect them.

I wouldn't have blamed them if they told us they didn't want our trade now but hopefully we will manage to negotiate a mutually beneficial trade agreement.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2017, 07:55 PM

Do you think so Meg?

Genuine question to our Aussies here.
Were you at all bothered when the UK joined the EU?
I wouldn't have thought so. You're countries in your own right now. Your own bosses. You don't need us. Didn't then and don't now other than for reciprocal trade agreements which doesn't really touch on issues of ' belonging to a club'... whether the EU or the Commonwealth.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top