Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2017, 03:16 PM

Re: As if we don't already have enough food worries...

One thing or another. Nobody gets out alive, LOL
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2017, 03:19 PM

Just came back from a bulk butcher.
Bought $200 worth of - steak, corned beef, beef mince, pork fillet, lamb, chicken tits and a few other odds-and-sods (including one meal of kangaroo).

Wifey and I will demolish the lot in a fortnight - plus a goodly pile of my own self-caught fresh fish and crabs.

All will be consumed with a nice balance of fresh fruit and veg.

If that is unhealthy or cruel or any other such crap .... I don't give a rat's !
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2017, 03:27 PM

Mmmmm, crab. Love that stuff. I love seafood, period. Shrimp, lobster, squid, clams, mussels, crab, scallops, oysters, most types of fish (especially Monkfish, Catfish, Grouper, fresh Tuna and Orange Roughy) and, of course, the classic dish Fish & Chips.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2017, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
My husband has just announced he's going vegetarian ! Never thought I'd hear that from my meat eater but he's fed up of the way animals are now being raised and treated. That makes cooking here easier as unless grace fancies meat we will all be veggies !
I am almost vegetarian but chicken is the last of the meats I eat. I think it's brave of your husband to go veggie as meals out can be a bit boring with little choice. Good on him though.
Linda0818
USA

14-03-2017, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I am almost vegetarian but chicken is the last of the meats I eat. I think it's brave of your husband to go veggie as meals out can be a bit boring with little choice. Good on him though.
During the time I wasn't eating meat, I actually had fun experimenting with new recipes. It helps to be a veggie lover, like I am, and I made all kinds of delicious dishes. Made some great veggie burgers and salads as well and I had the most fun creating pasta dishes. I also ate lots of beans and peas (mostly in soups) and loved my veggie pizzas. In fact, I still do. I became so addicted to veggie pizzas and veggies subs and sandwiches that anytime I order (or make at home) pizza, 9 times out of 10 it's completely vegetarian. To this day I often eat completely vegetarian meals, simply because I enjoy it.

When I wasn't eating meat, I missed chicken and seafood (and bacon!) the most, as I don't eat a whole lot of red meat anyway. But once I got used to it, it really wasn't all that difficult. And the internet is a goldmine of fabulous vegetarian dishes. As long as I stayed creative and didn't eat the same old boring stuff day after day, I found it quite enjoyable.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2017, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Pumicestone ->
Just came back from a bulk butcher.
Bought $200 worth of - steak, corned beef, beef mince, pork fillet, lamb, chicken tits and a few other odds-and-sods (including one meal of kangaroo).

Wifey and I will demolish the lot in a fortnight - plus a goodly pile of my own self-caught fresh fish and crabs.

All will be consumed with a nice balance of fresh fruit and veg.

If that is unhealthy or cruel or any other such crap .... I don't give a rat's !

Good for you matey - enjoy!!! - esp the Kangaroo - have had it here - its fabulous!!!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2017, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Linda0818 ->
During the time I wasn't eating meat, I actually had fun experimenting with new recipes. It helps to be a veggie lover, like I am, and I made all kinds of delicious dishes. Made some great veggie burgers and salads as well and I had the most fun creating pasta dishes. I also ate lots of beans and peas (mostly in soups) and loved my veggie pizzas. In fact, I still do. I became so addicted to veggie pizzas and veggies subs and sandwiches that anytime I order (or make at home) pizza, 9 times out of 10 it's completely vegetarian. To this day I often eat completely vegetarian meals, simply because I enjoy it.

When I wasn't eating meat, I missed chicken and seafood (and bacon!) the most, as I don't eat a whole lot of red meat anyway. But once I got used to it, it really wasn't all that difficult. And the internet is a goldmine of fabulous vegetarian dishes. As long as I stayed creative and didn't eat the same old boring stuff day after day, I found it quite enjoyable.
I agree Linda. I cook mostly vegetarian because Mrs LDs has been one for about thirty years. I find the experimenting enjoyable, trying to come up with new dishes for her. I keep meaning to start a veggie meals thread in fact.

We do find however, when we go out, she gets stuck with nut cutlet every time. Also she is not supposed to have too many carbs which make it even more difficult.

We have Quorn Chicken quite a bit too.
Linda0818
USA

14-03-2017, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I agree Linda. I cook mostly vegetarian because Mrs LDs has been one for about thirty years. I find the experimenting enjoyable, trying to come up with new dishes for her. I keep meaning to start a veggie meals thread in fact.

We do find however, when we go out, she gets stuck with nut cutlet every time. Also she is not supposed to have too many carbs which make it even more difficult.

We have Quorn Chicken quite a bit too.
Oh man, that's rough. Mostly veg and can't have many carbs. Yeah, I'll be honest and say that if it weren't for the carbs, I'd have never made it through that period of avoiding meat.

A veggie meals thread would be great!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2017, 04:19 PM

No meat ??? Can't do without a bacon sarney, or 'full english' breakfast. How do I make a beef stew without the beef and without the suet??? Then there's the sausages - toad-in-the-hole without sausages??? - ridiculous!!!

On another thread we were discussing liver and bacon cassserole earlier today - can't do without that either.

TThen there's the Sunday Roast - beef, Pork, Lamb or Chicken - Sunday isn't Sunday without a full sunday roast!!!
Linda0818
USA

14-03-2017, 04:24 PM

Sunday roasts are the best.

And sausage gravy.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top