Join for free
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 01:20 PM

Re: Coffee and Tea Capsules

Here is my expensive coffee maker ..
It cost me £2.50 plus the filters.

It makes one cup at a time . I use a coffee pot if I have visitors
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 01:24 PM

That's great if it works for you Meg I'd not stop anyone making their drink in whatever way they wish.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Here is my expensive coffee maker ..
It cost me £2.50 plus the filters.

It makes one cup at a time . I use a coffee pot if I have visitors
I've got one of those in white .....

How to make the perfect coffee bloom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hX01dg76dhk
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
You must have heard of them mups it's the tassimo, dolce, nespresso machines, advertised all over the place.

I know I must be the equivalent to the village idiot, but I've never bought coffee from machines either.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 01:59 PM

As a tea drinker I occasionally have instant coffee but always drink coffee when I am out or a Chai Latte at the Nan Tien Temple.

Never used a pod to my knowledge but see the pods in the supermarket; personally I just buy the 500gram tins of Nescafe Blend 43 when they are $16. Does me.

Actually I almost forgot... I do have a old percolator and occasionally buy a pack of ground coffee for it but I am not a fan.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I know I must be the equivalent to the village idiot, but I've never bought coffee from machines either.
Nah I just think you have more important things on your mind, you're no idiot !
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
I've got one of those in white .....

How to make the perfect coffee bloom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hX01dg76dhk
Do you heat you mug first with boiling water Omah
I do and I think the filter makes the best coffee ever providing you use a good bean to start with.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Do you heat you mug first with boiling water Omah
I do and I think the filter makes the best coffee ever providing you use a good bean to start with.
Everything gets heated (and therefore rinsed) first ....
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 04:27 PM

I would like an electric coffee percolator , the only ones I've seen lately are those tiny odd shaped ones that sit on the stove and serve about 2 cups . My mum had one for years and the smell of coffee as it brewed was wonderful
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 04:44 PM

Like the OP here I have stayed clear of coffee "pod" machines.

Their convenience is unmatched in being able to make a quick and "proper" cup of coffee. The problem is however, that it ties you into to one or more brands of pods and then your are tied in to the inferior and questionable coffee in those pods.

It's a clever trick they pulled off really. They took something that is universal and available in nature and manged to create a proprietary product out of it, just like Apple makes proprietary cables for all its devices so they can sting you every time.

Coffee is different for everyone I guess but anyone who is serious about coffee and wants a proper cup, wouldn't touch a pod machine.

When you buy quality coffee you look for 2 dates on the packet. One is the usual Best Before date but the more important is the "Roasted On" date. Without that latter date you have no idea how old that coffee is, when it was roasted. Pods in particular seldom have this (unless they've chnaged this recently). Really you have no idea at all how fresh that coffee is and how long those pods have been sitting on a shelf.

You are being charged a highly inflated price for inferior coffee and that business model is predicated on the total convenience of a pod machine. Each to their own I guess.

I realise of course that you can buy your own empty pods and fill them with your own coffee but the reuslts can be hit and miss and pods can leak creatign a mess etc. Having to faff filling your own pods really takes away a lot of the convenience of a pod machine.

In the end they are not for me. If I were really passionate I would buy a proper coffee machine but they are hugely expensive and require a reasonably amount of training to use.

I'm still happy to buy at a decent coffee shop and have the ambience of watching the world go by and using the WiFi.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top