Join for free
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2017, 07:35 PM

Brexit protests: Thousands take to streets in London and Rome as EU celebrates 60th a

All rather sad I think.

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/brexit-pro...121111954.html
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2017, 08:48 PM

Re: Brexit protests: Thousands take to streets in London and Rome as EU celebrates 60th a

It is sad. A German friend of mine went & posted some pics on facebook. She is a media professional and has lived in the UK for at least 25 years. She was very upset about brexit and considers Britain her home.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2017, 09:19 PM

Re: Brexit protests: Thousands take to streets in London and Rome as EU celebrates 60th a

I guess there are very many people living in various European countries who have made their homes there, many have married in these countries and have families. We have a Spanish friend who has been a teacher in England (London) for 11 years, now she will be returning back to Spain. The reason being she no longer feels comfortable in England, she has had both children and parents making snide remarks. No doubt many other foreign workers now receive the same treatment.

I feel that leaving Europe has taken away many opportunities for the younger generation. Somehow or other I donīt think our grandchildren want to wait until they themselves are grandparents before they have what many of our generation have achieved whilst in the EU. People have to live and survive in the here and now and with jobs already gone and no doubt many more to follow, itīs going to be a hard life for very many people. So many people are already regretting voting out, and whether it is denied by many or not, very many people thought they were voting against immigration, but not stopping to think that the major immigration problems are from outside the EU, not within the EU, and quite frankly I very much doubt that will change. Just my own personal thoughts, Iīm not an expert on such matters, but as has always been said, quite often you see so much more on the outside looking in than you do being on the inside.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2017, 09:33 PM

Britain will lose more than just workers if these people leave. They are friendly, energetic and vibrant with different views and communication styles (often far more direct) when compared with native Brits. Some come from cultures that are far more extrovert than ours.

It's not that some Brits aren't all these things, but people rooted here aren't as joyous and happy to be alive, maybe because many of us haven't made a leap into the unknown of another culture/country. Or is it an island mentality of introversion/introspection/understatement? You have to make an effort to reach out to others if you go live abroad. I wonder if that is the same for Brits who move to Spain as you have. Does it make you more extrovert and outward-looking?
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain

25-03-2017, 10:18 PM

Interesting post Annie. We have noticed over the years of travelling that British people almost always seem more friendly when they are in a foreign country, perhaps because they are out of their normal comfort zone. Wherever weīve been in the world my aim has always exploring, somewhat foolhardy at times, but Iīm still here. Many times we would return from exploring and other hotel guests would ask where weīd been all day and almost faint when we told them. However more than a few would ask if they could come with us the next day and once weīd introduced them to a few locals, who would take care of them they would be out with their new friends every day. Weīve seen many people who have never left the hotel compound, which makes you wonder why they go there in the first place.

Living somewhere, as opposed to holiday is very different and in Africa many times we were grateful for the help of European friends. I should say we got more help from the German community there than we ever did from the British community, who were very "superior", and wouldnīt dream of mixing with the local people, other than employing them for work purposes. Fortunately where we lived there were not many British people, mostly German and Italian.

I think many British people who come here to live do tend to get more extrovert, probably because so many of them canīt handle their drink, not just the young ones either. There are many Brits living over here, but in our little area there are more Germans, Swedish, Finnish, Norwegians etc than Brits. We also have Spanish, more in the summer as many have their holiday homes here. I donīt know, I think on the whole the greater majority change their attitudes, not all, some appear to think they are living in an extension of Britain and things should be done their way, some think Spanish laws donīt apply to them, etc etc, but I do think most people are much friendlier, it must be the weather.

Personally I very much like living in a mixed community, itīs fun.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

26-03-2017, 12:27 AM

That's interesting that you had more help from the Germans than other Brits. I've always found Germans to be very friendly abroad. I think it's just part of their culture to be interested in others and to give advice. I remember being in Berlin in '87 and people would just stare at you. Over here it's impolite but there it's just normal and everyone is curious about everyone else.

I prefer it here with a mixed community. These people will integrate in a decade or so and become part of that being British is. Some people like you are more adventurous & explore, others feel safer with their own crowd. But all these groups will melt into the pot over time. Just as Brits and Germans in Spain are now part of Spanish culture. I bet they could not imagine Spain without them. Europe has always been a hub of migration (but I guess in the past a lot of it was unwelcome migration due to war!). We just escaped it a bit more here as we are an island.

Do your Spanish friends feel sympathetic to your uncertain situation?
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain

26-03-2017, 12:55 AM

Yes Annie, the Spanish people we know are all sympathetic towards the British here, but no doubt, like some people perhaps some of the older ones would say good riddance, although I havenīt personally come across anyone saying that.

The Spanish, along with the other nationalities, here, and personal friends in other European countries seriously think the British are crazy for leaving Europe. They say "for sure it isnīt perfect, but the good outweighs the bad". I can honestly say that, as yet, we havenīt come across anyone, either living here, elsewhere or just over on holiday that think leaving the EU is sensible. Obviously there must be many that do, but I know that many who voted out now regret their decision.

Things are done very differently here re illegal immigrants, all those arriving on boats etc. They are given any medical care required but they are taken to various centres and kept there whilst all the relevant checks are made. They are then returned to wherever they came from.

Thereīs a nice little story here, you may be interested in.

http://www.armada.mde.es/ArmadaPorta...ion=selectItem
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain

26-03-2017, 12:13 PM

I've just been watching interviews with some of the people who were in the anti brexit march in London. One young man asked an interesting question,
he said, "I was born European, what right does anyone have to take that away from me?"

I have no idea about the legalities of such a thing, but it certainly poses an interesting question. The people interviewed had some very interesting things to say.

The following video is not the one I watched originally, the one I was sent was mostly interviews with people who had gone to the demonstration in coaches from Cheshire, but some of the people spoken to on the above video also had some interesting things to say.

https://uk.video.search.yahoo.com/se...1&action=click
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

27-03-2017, 12:23 AM

It's an interesting legal question. I'm no fan but at least Miller is challenging such issues. Perhaps this will also be challenged in the courts given a decision on EU residency has not yet been discussed in Parliament.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top