Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2017, 11:34 PM

Re: Bread (supermarket) and refreezing

I used to do this years ago but I think it makes the bread taste funny. Ok for toast though. I don't eat regular bread now as gluten makes me ill. The great thing about gluten free stuff is that it doesn't go off too quick so you can just keep it for about two weeks with no mould. But I wouldn't recommend it as gluten is delicious.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2017, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Probably the best bet.

OR . . . make a load of sarnies for 'himself' with it.
Then you can eat the yummy seeded one.
Arrrgh ... think he's given up eating bread again (today)

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Freeze it but never take it out it will be like a time capsule for future generations

I have several items entombed in ice at the bottom of my freezer no idea what they are .
This is good advice ... thank you so much

Not bothered about future generations
End of the world is nigh
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2017, 11:44 PM

You have two hobbies then?
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2017, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by Rachel ->
Bread (supermarket)
I guess you're not supposed to freeze it, defrost it, refreeze it, defrost it and eat it.
To be honest, if you're talking supermarket bread, it hardly matters what you do with it. It's frankly sh*t, full of nasty chemicals, flour enhancers and other unwanted things.

Supermarkets generally don't make fresh bread on site even though it may look like they do. They simply take frozen pre-made dough/products and bake on site which fills the shops with that fresh bread smell. It's a con.

Bottom line, make your own bread with nothing more than flour, water, salt and leavening (e.g. yeast)
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2017, 07:20 AM

I generally freeze bread as soon as I get it home from the supermarket and take out a couple of slices at a time as needed. This has been done this for around 10 years now and it must have saved no end of waste bread, especially in the summer when older bread can start to go mouldy.

Asda sell a cheese baton that I like and this gets frozen straightaway too. I only eat a third of a baton at a time, so have to thaw it just enough to carve off that amount, then put the rest back in the freezer.

I try to remember to get bread out of the freezer about 20 minutes before it's needed to let it thaw at room temperature but often forget and end up microwaving it for 15 seconds or so.
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2017, 08:31 AM

I think the answer is to not freeze the bread for any longer than necessary. Like others we freeze sliced bread and just take out a few slices at a time. I like tiger loaves and chop them into three and bag them up separately before freezing, easier than trying to chop a frozen loaf!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2017, 09:28 AM

I've over the years frozen loads of bread defrosted it and had to put some back in the freezer to defrost another time. We are all still here never been ill or even noticed a difference in taste or texture. I've got a freezer full at the moment rolls and loaves, I make a loaf a day, my husband batch bakes in the evening so we have enough to take on holiday with us.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2017, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I've over the years frozen loads of bread defrosted it and had to put some back in the freezer to defrost another time. We are all still here never been ill or even noticed a difference in taste or texture. I've got a freezer full at the moment rolls and loaves, I make a loaf a day, my husband batch bakes in the evening so we have enough to take on holiday with us.
Oh good
Now I know 2 people who have survived

Thank you
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2017, 09:37 AM

I always freezer my bread when I buy it fresh, but once I defrost a loaf I never re-freeze it again.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2017, 09:40 AM

I don't bother unfreezing loaves. I just break a few slices off and stick em in the toaster as is - or in my George Foreman Grill. Seems to work and they taste fine but then I do have strange eating habits.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top