Join for free
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2017, 11:06 PM

Tesco little gems with free protein snack!

Be wary of how you prepare Tesco little gem lettuce. Make sure you peel the leaves and don't slice sideways. I made two friends tonight doing the latter - two baby slugs that is! What a bargain.

I guess this is what we have to look forward to as inflation bites and costs are cut to the point where we have to pick our own lettuce.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2017, 11:24 PM

Re: Tesco little gems with free protein snack!

Natural foods often have natural pests, I always wash all veg and salad for that reason.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2017, 12:05 AM

I too wash everything fastidiously and feel uncomfortable when I see Jamie just chucking veg in unwashed. That's how I found them. I always check but it's the first time I've found anything. It's funny because they are the first ones I've seen this year, nothing in the garden apart from snails.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2017, 09:11 AM

I once served up a salad for Mrs LDs complete with a hairy caterpillar that went marching across the plate. Odd really because the salad came from a sealed bag.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2017, 01:29 PM

Oh yuk Annie, poor you. we know it's nature for creepy crawlies in fruit and veg but we don't expect them in supermarket foodstuffs as they have supposedly gone through a washing process to prevent such things happening.

I have heard so many stories of "finds" in "prepared, ready to eat" bagged salads that I wouldn't buy them ever!!.
And don't get me started on bananas!! I have my groceries delivered and always insist on "loose bananas". in case there is a sac in the bagged ones with hundreds of deadly spiders!!!

Many years ago when I was in the W.R.A.F, I was the Mess Representative, any complaints regarding the food came to me and would be reported to the C.O. at a monthly meeting.
(always ensured I was always served the best of everything)!!
One day I walked in and fancied a Sirloin steak and Salad. All went well until I sat down and tucked into my large helping of green salad. I checked the lettuce leaf (as I would for every leaf if preparing myself) and was horrified to see underneath the top leaf, a happy little crowd of hundreds of greenfly!!! I returned the plate to the counter and asked to see the Chef. He was incandescent with rage when he saw the lettuce and it's inhabitants, especially as it had been served to me, the Mess Rep. I told him I wouldn't report it (I ain't no stool pigeon) but to please give whoever prepared the lettuce, a right b........g as not everyone was not as dilligent as me!

Today, as is always the case, my lettuce is usually screaming for mercy before I ever place it into my lettuce spinner.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

12-05-2017, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->

And don't get me started on bananas!! I have my groceries delivered and always insist on "loose bananas". in case there is a sac in the bagged ones with hundreds of deadly spiders!!!

You know I am sure that I found a poisonous spider in a bunch of Tesco bananas! I managed to kill it after it came out of the carrier bag. I have never seen a sac but I will be extra careful now. I always worry about cockroach eggs as once had an invasion from a supermarket buy. I think the egg was in a lidl cardboard box.

Thanks for sharing the story about your time at WRAF. You must have had some fabulous experiences. It's a great organisation.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2017, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Be wary of how you prepare Tesco little gem lettuce. Make sure you peel the leaves and don't slice sideways. I made two friends tonight doing the latter - two baby slugs that is! What a bargain.

I guess this is what we have to look forward to as inflation bites and costs are cut to the point where we have to pick our own lettuce.
Additional protein Annie darlin'???

Another good reason for me NOT to eat rabbit food!!!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top