Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2017, 07:04 AM

Re: Polish or not?

Does anyone remember the Polonez Car in the 80s, what a shed.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2017, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Does anyone remember the Polonez Car in the 80s, what a shed.
Yep......and no one admitted owning one....opting for "I stole it" if seen in one.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2017, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I clay bar mine when I first get them, then polish.

After that just a good quality wax.
What on earth is clay bar?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2017, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
What on earth is clay bar?
Hi

Here you go Barry.

http://www.autofinesse.co.uk/how-to-use-a-clay-bar/

It gets rid of all the muck on the paint, so you you can then polish it and wax it and keep the paint looking good.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2017, 10:23 AM

Forgot to add I had 2 morris minors to add to the list of cars owned
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2017, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Here you go Barry.

http://www.autofinesse.co.uk/how-to-use-a-clay-bar/

It gets rid of all the muck on the paint, so you you can then polish it and wax it and keep the paint looking good.
Blimey that looks like hard work for nothing, gues I'll stick to Turtle Wax...
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2017, 06:35 PM

It all depends on how you want your car to look and how much effort/time you want to give, if you buy a newish car then it makes sense to keep it looking nice, if you wash and polish your car on a regular basis it can make a difference when you trade in , a clean , well looked after car shows its been cared for, and usually well maintained, plus as you clean around your car it gives you chance to notice and blemishes/stone chips that can be dealt with, most people have their cars washed at the local supermarket. buy the polish guys, or get a bucket and sponge and do it themselves, next time your car is parked under a street light at night you will see lots of small scratches or " swirl marks", caused by washing, usually people wash their cars using a circular motion, but its best to wash in a straight line ( where possible) backwards and forwards with a soft microfiber wash mitt or cloth, using the two bucket method, one with car shampoo, the other with plain water, to rinse out , as I said its what you want to put in , I never let anyone wash my car even when it goes in for service I ask them not to wash my car.
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2017, 10:30 AM

I have had rides in Polonez taxis several times when working in Poland. A real learning experience!
Don't forget Fiat of Italy "modernised" the Polish factory and produced Fiat clones there.

Back to polishing the car. I do the Prius about twice a year, but first go down to the seafront for a highly detailed £5 Albanian car wash. Drive half a mile back then polish. Don't forget most cars seem to have a clear lacquer coating over the base colour.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2017, 08:58 PM

I haven't polished my car since I have had it - 2nd year now. Can't see me ever doing it either. The way I look at it the more effort and attention you apply to your car the more you are going to be upset when some rag head scratches it or something. Even so I do wash it down occasionally. Must admit though I really like the car I have now - Rover 75 - as it exudes quality allied to incredible economy. What I also really like about it is you can pick them up for peanuts should I ever need a replacement. £500 will secure you a fairly decent example if you know where to look .
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2017, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
All very well RS but isn't this thread about polish?
You are right, there is some serious willy waving on here now

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top