Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2017, 12:56 PM

Re: Walking.

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
The Malverns are beautiful and the view from the Worcestershire Beacon is fabulous!
I'll be there on Monday

I agree about the West Highland Way although I've only seen walkers on part of it as I was travelling through Glencoe on a coach.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2017, 01:02 PM

There are so many wonderful walks where we are in the far north, one I do keep returning to though is through the hills to the Highland Clearance Village Badbea, but it's steep and rocky in places, so some may find it hard going in places, you can read about the history and also see all the ruined homes along the way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB56LYy1uJs

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040530.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	3063   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040532.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	3064   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040544.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	3065  
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2017, 01:07 PM

Im a big fan of John Prebble who wrote about the Highland clearances and Culloden, a journey i had to make make when holidaying at Spean Bridge.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2017, 01:11 PM

Such lovely photographs everyone

I do envy you people who live near these great places to walk.

Late OH and I would often drive to Hambledon (the one near Marlow) and walk through woods, fields, negotiate the odd stream and just enjoy nature at its best.

We also 'did' Snowdonia, the Brecon Beacons and the South Downs.

The only problem I had with going up Snowdon was that it was early April and the weather was not good ... all the way up, there was snow melting and the sound of water trickling down the odd 'gully'

OMG .... nowhere for me to wee
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2017, 11:56 PM

How exciting to see a hiking thread on here! I've been a hiking addict since I was 25 and first went to the Peak District with a local YHA group. That was the start of a love affair that continues to this day. Still adore the Peaks and the culture of that region. Well dressings, bakewell puddings, fresh air and breathtaking views - a great tonic for the soul. I've been all over the stunning lake district (including up scafell, buttermere, great gable, and so many others) and really love the Llyn Peninsula in Wales and Snowdonia. I went on a lovely hike only last weekend - fresh air, good company and a pub lunch, pure relaxation while getting fit.

Here is a pic from one of my Lake District hiking holidays. I cannot remember the name of this valley but it's where many really good routes start and it has lots of little waterfalls.

AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2017, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Rachel ->

OMG .... nowhere for me to wee
You need to procure a "she-wee" Rachel. One of the group I hiked up mount Toubkal with on my Morocco trip had one. I have never been brave enough to try it myself, but I did buy something similar just in case when I went to Latitude festival a few years ago. Luckily the loos weren't bad enough to have to use it! Although a friend was caught by the toilet police when she tried to wee near the tents in the middle of the night. They walk around with torches to shame those who don't want to walk to the loos through the mud.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top