Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2017, 12:06 PM

Dough in breadmaker risen too high!

Did recipe according to yeast packaging, sent machine on for 3.45 hrs operation. With an hour and 15 still to go, the dough is now up to the lid, and the machine doesn't feel hot at all.

Do you think I can pause the machine, scoop some dough out, and let it continue?

Eeeeekk!!
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2017, 12:09 PM

Re: Dough in breadmaker risen too high!

I had a bread maker once-used it twice and threw it away.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2017, 12:09 PM

Problem is, I don't have a full size oven to bake the bread, as some recipes state you should pour water into a tray to place underneath.

If I try a conventional oven method, can I get away without that bit?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2017, 12:11 PM

Well I know what you've done wrong if that helps, never follow packet instructions bread machines use less water so always follow their instructions ! But now I think I'd scoop it all out divide it in half and put half back in and possibly make rolls out of the rest.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

06-06-2017, 12:15 PM

Thanks Julie, but I can't find the actual recipe book for the machine. Must have another look.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2017, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Problem is, I don't have a full size oven to bake the bread, as some recipes state you should pour water into a tray to place underneath.

If I try a conventional oven method, can I get away without that bit?
Yes of course you can. Bread does need a lot of kneading-sorry for that. But after that and a decent rise just pop in in the oven.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

06-06-2017, 12:36 PM

Right, stopped the machine (and the electrics fused!). Reset all that. Scooped dough out, and now cooking in two different ovens (the mini and the micro combi). Let's see what happens now, and if successful. Definitely don't know where my loaf tin is, and I know I had one, so will pop into Wilko or somewhere and get a couple. Using a cake and flan tin for now. Ooops.

I'll take a photo when finished.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

06-06-2017, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Older git ->
Yes of course you can. Bread does need a lot of kneading-sorry for that. But after that and a decent rise just pop in in the oven.
The machine had already been operating for over 2 hours so am hoping all the kneading had been done.

ETA. Found the cookbook in my manuals folder.

What does it give in measurements? Cups! Well how useful is that???!

Oh well, if it doesn't work, it doesn't work.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2017, 01:02 PM

Jazzi doves farm do a nice little conversion chart for cups etc https://www.dovesfarm.co.uk/hints-ti...nversion-table hope that helps.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

06-06-2017, 01:26 PM

The one on the left has been cut in half and has gone back into the mini oven for a few more minutes. Very hard crust but still doughy in the middle.

The other one is just about right, and I'm eating the crust and a slice with marmalade.

Thank's for the link, Julie. I'll take a look.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	3093  

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top