Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2017, 06:34 PM

Bouillon? Have You Ever Used It?

I had never heard of Bouillon until my daughter, husband and children came to stay with me whilst their new house was being built!
My son in law does all the cooking! I keep saying he should go on one of those television cooking programmes as the food he cooks is absolutely delicious!
Whilst they were here, he made the most delicious chicken stew/casserole. He used chicken thighs which l don't normally eat, as l only like the breast of a chicken!
I asked him for the recipe, which included lots of vegetables, onions, garlic, carrots, celery, mushrooms, a tin of tomatoes, sweet potatoes and this Bouillon. He normally cooks this in a saucepan so that the liquid reduces down.
Bouillon is produced by Mari Gold, Swiss Vegetable powder, instant stock and delicious hot drink! Available in Asda.
I have the casserole in the oven now, l hope it's as nice as the one he made!

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2650.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	3103  
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2017, 06:45 PM

Re: Bouillon? Have You Ever Used It?

No Art- I never have.
I'm going to, now you've posted this though.

I'm always on the look out for new ways of cooking old favourites and would love the recipe for your chicken casserole - ingredients/proportions/time etc
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2017, 06:48 PM

Didn't they also do them as a stock cube, I am sure I used them a few years back?
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2017, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I had never heard of Bouillon until my daughter, husband and children came to stay with me whilst their new house was being built!
My son in law does all the cooking! I keep saying he should go on one of those television cooking programmes as the food he cooks is absolutely delicious!
Whilst they were here, he made the most delicious chicken stew/casserole. He used chicken thighs which l don't normally eat, as l only like the breast of a chicken!
I asked him for the recipe, which included lots of vegetables, onions, garlic, carrots, celery, mushrooms, a tin of tomatoes, sweet potatoes and this Bouillon. He normally cooks this in a saucepan so that the liquid reduces down.
Bouillon is produced by Mari Gold, Swiss Vegetable powder, instant stock and delicious hot drink! Available in Asda.
I have the casserole in the oven now, l hope it's as nice as the one he made!
I have never tried that one, but isn't Bouillon just a French name for stock?
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2017, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->

Stock is made using bones and meat.

Broth is made using only meat.
Boullion is dehydrated stock..

I often use a low salt cube to cook my carrots ..
I slice the carrots melt a little butter in the pan and toss the carrots in the melted butter then when they are coated add about a pint of stock/ boullion and simmer for about 10-15 mins until tender (depends on the thickness of slices)..
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2017, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
Didn't they also do them as a stock cube, I am sure I used them a few years back?
Yes I'm sure they were available as stock cubes.

I used to make my own stock but at some point thought, what the Hell ... stock cubes had progressed somewhat and were no longer 'an Oxo cube' lol.

MIL was a great cook and she used Knorr stock cubes a lot of the time.

Unless you want to be totally preservative free, then yes that's the way to go.

I don't cook those kind of meals now as I prefer to keep life simple, in every way
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2017, 07:02 PM

It's love!y Art!
I often use a teasp or two as well as chicken stock cube for extra flavour.
It's lovely to add flavour to rice or pasta too, yum!!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2017, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
No Art- I never have.
I'm going to, now you've posted this though.

I'm always on the look out for new ways of cooking old favourites and would love the recipe for your chicken casserole - ingredients/proportions/time etc
Hi Carol,
When l make a the casserole, l just throw everything in! Any vegetables l have go in!
For this one l used chicken thighs, l used four thighs just for me, or if my daughter called in! I forgot to mention in my OP that l added herbs, fresh Thyme, Oregano and some dried mixed herbs. I fried the onion, garlic and chicken first. I also thickened it with some plain flour after cooking it for one and a half hours in the oven.
The reason my son in law uses the Swiss Bouillon is because my daughter is partially vegetarian!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

07-06-2017, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
Rehab, l only know of this in powder form!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

07-06-2017, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Twink, On the container it describes it as Swiss but l suppose, it's much the same!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top