Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2017, 09:54 PM

Re: Foot clinic

Yes but before I became type two, it worked well enough put plenty of moisturiser on afterwards, then keep moisturising each evening. That helps you not need to use it too often.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2017, 10:37 AM

I have no problem with podiatrist treatment. When I need my nails clipped, I 'phone up and get an appointment and since, the podiatrists know I'm diabetic, they inspect my feet at the same time.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2017, 10:40 AM

Glad you get good service Uj.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2017, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Glad you get good service Uj.

But Julie darlin' - now you've seen that other parrts of the country have a better system than yours, nows the time to suggest and fight(???) for an improvement in the system where you are. Talk to your GP - you should NOT have to pay for this - its all part of the NHS!!!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

09-06-2017, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
But Julie darlin' - now you've seen that other parrts of the country have a better system than yours, nows the time to suggest and fight(???) for an improvement in the system where you are. Talk to your GP - you should NOT have to pay for this - its all part of the NHS!!!
One fight at a time Uj. We are still in negotiation about who has responsibility for my husbands monthly injections, hospital prescribed them, GP refuses to do them, nurse hasn't got time, so he's been doing them himself. But we are still fighting to get his supplies as I don't think sourcing off the internet is safe. Several letters have gone to and fro, we've been invited to a meeting about it at the hospital.

Once we have this one settled I might feel more like fighting again.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2017, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Just bought myself one of those battery operated `pedi` type things to remove the hard skin off of my heels. On reading the leaflet that came with it, it said that it's not recommended for people with diabetes. Anyone had any issues or indeed used one of these?
I didn't think it was any good.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2017, 02:15 PM

I have mentioned this before but will again in the hope it will save some of you money . Age Uk have toe nail cutting clinics and some are trained to do diabetics should you find the doctors are cutting down on this service . There is a charge of around £13 it's a non profit making service . The clinics will keep your feet in good condition and give advice if needed .

Chiropodists can charge up to £28 to just do toe nail cutting so do consider this option first
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

09-06-2017, 02:24 PM

I pay £35 to £40 depending on what needs doing so that sounds very reasonable.
Irene
Stafford, England
Irene is female  Irene has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2017, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
I have mentioned this before but will again in the hope it will save some of you money . Age Uk have toe nail cutting clinics and some are trained to do diabetics should you find the doctors are cutting down on this service . There is a charge of around £13 it's a non profit making service . The clinics will keep your feet in good condition and give advice if needed .

Chiropodists can charge up to £28 to just do toe nail cutting so do consider this option first
Thanks very much for that info, Susan.

I will certainly pursue that avenue - I pay £29 for about 30 minutes!
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2017, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Irene ->
Thanks very much for that info, Susan.

I will certainly pursue that avenue - I pay £29 for about 30 minutes!
I was employed and trained by Age Uk to set up the first footcare clinics in Dorset , it's non profit making , the charge is for the service and money put back into it . When I retired 3 yrs ago I had up to 300 clients in my clinics and most had appointments for 6 weeks return . Some clinics will sell to you your own personal pack of clippers and file you bring them each clinic visit , this is to keep charges down and for health reasons . The cost of the pack is about £13 . It's a good service so do tell others . When I first started there were two of us for the whole of Dorset doing feet and running clinics now there are 10 employed.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top