Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2017, 08:59 PM

Re: The end of the diesel car is nigh

My 2005 Rover 75 diesel auto is a marvellous bit of kit. Astonishing mpg. For such a big car I don't know how it does it, but I must be getting at least 40 mpg around town and maybe 50 mpg or more on a run.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2017, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
My 2005 Rover 75 diesel auto is a marvellous bit of kit. Astonishing mpg. For such a big car I don't know how it does it, but I must be getting at least 40 mpg around town and maybe 50 mpg or more on a run.
Yours won't have the fancy gizmos like dpf,s so no worries there, does yours have the BMW engine?, that probably accounts for your good mpg,or you have a very light right foot
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2017, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Yours won't have the fancy gizmos like dpf,s so no worries there, does yours have the BMW engine?, that probably accounts for your good mpg,or you have a very light right foot
Yeah, and a cracking engine it is too .

I drive nice and easy in town, but on the motorway I don't hang about - or I didn't. I read the fines for speeding have gone up haven't they?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2017, 08:06 AM

My workhorse Diesel is starting to sound, and rattle like a tractor, it's a bit like a "Bond Car", when I put my foot down, the cars behind get covered in a Smoke Screen, but, it cost £500, and has done 22,000 miles so far this year, that is a mere £0.02p per mile.
Bookworm
New Member!
Welsh Borders
Bookworm is female 

17-06-2017, 10:16 AM

We've just bought our second deisel. Dacia Stepway and we love it. Last year the road tax was just over £20 this year it is over £100. The mileage is fantastic on this car. We'll stick with them as long as we can.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

17-06-2017, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
My workhorse Diesel is starting to sound, and rattle like a tractor, it's a bit like a "Bond Car", when I put my foot down, the cars behind get covered in a Smoke Screen, but, it cost £500, and has done 22,000 miles so far this year, that is a mere £0.02p per mile.
Where the hell have you been to clock that many miles up?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2017, 01:50 PM

Where the hell have you been to clock that many miles up?
I do about 70 miles a day commuting, coz I work for myself, I have the luxury of being able to return home from the City a couple of times a day, the workhorse also takes me to various outdoor events, (usually within a 100 miles radius). Because this one is getting very rattly now, I am about to buy another one to replace it, before it finally fails, this one has done exceptionally well, I've had it since July last year, previous to this one, I sent three to the scrapyard in one year, I now have my own barcoded identity card which I present at the recycling plant, I joke not!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

17-06-2017, 02:15 PM

Also, the price of scrap has tumbled, a couple of years ago, you could buy say a 2004 top spec Mondeo 90,000 miles ish, some service history for around £600.00, do 7 or 8000 miles in it, and scrap it for £180.00, they are now worth £70.00 scrap value.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

17-06-2017, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
I do about 70 miles a day commuting, coz I work for myself, I have the luxury of being able to return home from the City a couple of times a day, the workhorse also takes me to various outdoor events, (usually within a 100 miles radius). Because this one is getting very rattly now, I am about to buy another one to replace it, before it finally fails, this one has done exceptionally well, I've had it since July last year, previous to this one, I sent three to the scrapyard in one year, I now have my own barcoded identity card which I present at the recycling plant, I joke not!
No oil and filter change?

Plenty of very cheap diesel Rover 75s about for little money and they seem pretty reliable too.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

17-06-2017, 02:31 PM

No oil and filter change?

Plenty of very cheap diesel Rover 75s about for little money and they seem pretty reliable too.
No, I don't bother with servicing, but I usually buy a vehicle with some provenance. To use a vehicle like this, it is more important to make sure the transmission is good, a failed clutch would send it straight to the scrappers, same goes for the turbo on some diesel models, I usually stick to buying hatchbacks or estates, having to fit some large model aircraft in on occasions, that would prevent the purchase of a saloon.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top