Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2017, 10:13 AM

Coach holidays

Next week Tony & I are going to Llandudno on a National coach holiday for 5 days. I've no idea what it will be like - never been with National before.

We have been with Shearings a few times and enjoyed them so hoping this will be ok too.

Do any of our members on here go on coach holidays? If so, what did you reckon - good or bad?
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2017, 10:44 AM

Re: Coach holidays

My parents used to go on them on a regular basis. They used to meet up with various friends and thoroughly enjoy themselves.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2017, 11:15 AM

Never use Diamond holidays . We recently arranged a trip with them to Bath . I live in Dorset . Arriving on the morning to expect a coach to pick 4 of us up a taxi was there , it took us to Southampton , from there by coach we went to Basingstoke to collect 2 people and from there we travelled to Bath. We spent hours on the coach . We had to do the reverse journey a few days later . I'll never use them again . Had we travelled our self's by car we would have been in Bath in 1 and a quarter hours .
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2017, 11:50 AM

Yesterday a health worker suggested this to me as a way of me getting out and mixing with people. My ex mum in law used to go on lots of coach holidays.
I would be interested in what others have to say about them.
I was thinking of just having 2/3 day breaks and using my car.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2017, 12:31 PM

I keep looking at them but haven't taken the plunge. What puts me off is I don't like eating with other people.
I attract loonies on the bus let alone coaches where I could be stuck with one for days and I need an afternoon nap.
I'd love to go away for a few days but as I can't drive far it's difficult.
If I could be transported somewhere in my sleep that would be ideal!
Trains could be the answer, I'm not sure how you book a seat etc. now though

Where's Myrtle when you need her?
Off gallivanting on a coach trip again
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2017, 12:46 PM

I'm here Tess

As you know Carol I love my coach trips ... next one is a weekend in Melrose, Scotland with Shearings next Friday. I'm going on the coach but coming home by train ... bargain price of £19 ... worth it to avoid the early morning start and waiting at the interchange for feeder coach when we get back.

I've been with National a few times and they are good .. they belong to Shearings but they don't use the interchange but, depending on where you're going, the pick-ups can be long winded. For me, if I'm travelling South, it's not too bad but going North, Scotland for instance, the pick-ups can be a nightmare !!!
Also with Shearings your case is taken up to your room when you arrive and on the day of departure brought down for you but with National you have to do your own porterage.

My friend goes to Llandudno with National a few times a year and has no complaints but personally I would prefer the Shearings Hotels ... the Marine or the County ... and I would travel by train to avoid the early pick up, etc. Shearings are happy to let you book a coach trip but make your own travel arrangements to/from the hotel and of course you will have your coach seat for any excursions. Booking on a coach trip is often cheaper than booking the hotel only .. crazy !!!!

Tessa ... let me know if/when you want help planning a train journey ... I have a few tricks up my sleeve
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2017, 01:08 PM

I have a coach company just a few miles away and have been on quite a few. As a non driver being picked up at my door is just the thing. Not so sure about a coach trip to Europe,Northern France perhaps but I once took one to Italy and it took forever.

As we all know? my circumstances are due to change soon so my days of coach trips as a `single` may be over.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2017, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I keep looking at them but haven't taken the plunge. What puts me off is I don't like eating with other people.
I attract loonies on the bus let alone coaches where I could be stuck with one for days and I need an afternoon nap.
I'd love to go away for a few days but as I can't drive far it's difficult.
If I could be transported somewhere in my sleep that would be ideal!
Trains could be the answer, I'm not sure how you book a seat etc. now though

Where's Myrtle when you need her?
Off gallivanting on a coach trip again
What you said about meal times was my concern last week when i had a 4 day break in Devon ,
There was mainly tables for 4, I was put with a couple of 80+ one who had a stroke and the other deaf ..The table number you was given at the start was what you had to stick with unless you made a special request to be with friends .

So it was a three course meal ,which on the first two days were served to the table as a whole , by this i mean I had finished my first course a soup , while the lady across the table had only got down a third , each spoon full she took was a hard and steady task to get to her mouth ...

so i waited patiently about 10 minutes for her to finish , then the second course was served, this went on day after day till I decided to give the sweet course a miss , and i made my excuses to leave the table and go back to my room .

I also found making any conversation with them very hard going ,in fact im sure the whole meal episode appeared to be a sketch from a Dave Allen show and at one time i had to bite my lip to stop myself from cracking up .

Apart from the meal time i enjoyed my break away , perhaps miss the meals out next time .
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2017, 04:49 PM

Oh dear .Im a loner at the best of times and being stuck at close quarters with a load of people for days on end is just my worst nightmare.
I do manage a day trip to Germany for the Christmas market once a year but sometimes even thats a hurdle depending on the bathing habits of the other travelers.
Last year one lady had so much perfume/deo/smelly bath stuff on that my daughter and I said nothing but had to move elsewhere on the bus, I wouldnt be able to hold my tongue for days on end.
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2017, 05:04 PM

@Cass ... you are only "stuck at close quarters" with the other passengers whilst you are travelling ... the rest of the time you are free to go off and do your own thing. I often don't even bother going on the included excursion(s) as I like to plan my own itinerary using local buses or trains.

As far as meal times are concerned ... I've been lucky in that I've either had my own table or been on a table for two and I've never had a problem. I did have a table with 3 men who were travelling alone in the Isle of Wight and we all got on really well.

Eliza .... you should have gone down for your meals at a different time than the other two ... earlier if possible ... AND no need to forego your desert ... order it and tell them you're taking it up to your room

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top