Join for free
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2015, 11:34 AM

Antique Road Show

the british one not the chinese one.

Here in OZ I suspect millions watch it every night at the moment - and very enjoyable it is too - I didn't realize there were so many lovely english castles etc still remaining.

but the most fascinating thing for me is looking at the almost all 'whitefella' visitors - it looks like nothing has changed in UK at all - no immigrants hardly - do they stop them at the door??

it seems like england circa 1960's!!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2015, 11:54 AM

Re: Antique Road Show

Strange thing Gumbud, I noticed that too and was just remarking on it a few weeks ago to the wife.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2015, 12:00 PM

us expats have real reality checks heh??
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2015, 06:21 AM

We are British born Tasmanians and last year, while in the UK, we went to watch one at Bolton House near Grantham. It was fascinating. We saw all the well-known presenters and even thought we might appear on the TV version but we didn't!

The valuation spots which go on the screen are very rehearsed and we watched one being filmed over and over but I guess that's the way of TV but it really was a great experience - and, yes, it was all very "British", including people with their dogs in tow. Perhaps the non-Brits aren't into this sort of thing. But if you want to see the other side of British life, drive into Birmingham through Shirley and Solihull - not an English person or an English shop for over three miles.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

10-09-2015, 06:41 AM

exactly jaywalker this is a post I have just made on another thread

if someone would research the muslim popn spots throughout UK I think you will find that there will be many many areas in UK which are financially prohibited to new immigrants and low labor opportunities and therefore will never see immigrants for many years as they just cannot afford the life styles there.

so oldies on this site are saying 'well we never see immigrants around here" and so they don't - the cities of course will be heavily affected as they already are and large areas of low financial values like parts of Yorkshire towns but of course the Dales of Yorkshire will not be affected for the reasons stated - so if you don't wont to live next door to immigrants MOVE!
and reinforces your own observations

as new comers the immigrants will not follow the same social pursuits as the British but may in time
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2015, 03:21 AM

Agreed. The year before we rented a cottage in Skipton - not an immigrant in sight all the two weeks we were there BUT I went into Bradford one day and I don't have to tell you that was an entirely different story. I hadn't been for quite a few years and i was gobsmacked at what I saw in the multi-storey shopping centre.

I'm afraid my 94 yr old Barnsley born mother (who migrated here in 51) would have had a pink fit.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

12-09-2015, 06:32 AM

i think i mentioned on another thread that if you mapped out the immigrant popns throughout Britain and Ireland, scotland and wales and it can be don laborious and then coloured it in [coloring in is all the rage these ddays!] you would see an interesting distribution of white to black variations [you would also need to include country of origin status too - then you could easily pick and chose where and how you wanted to live - I think UK will have little pockets of havens all over the island for years to come!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top