Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2017, 09:35 AM

Induction Hobs Versus Gas Hobs

Does anyone use an Induction Hob for cooking?
I would appreciate any comments, pro's and con's efficiency - or lack of it - And was it a pain replacing all your stainless steel and aluminium pans with ferrous ones?

Mrs Fox and me are having a new kitchen fitted, it's still in it's planning stages. The old one is over 25 years old and shelves are sagging, hinges squeak, tiles are cracked with missing grout and previous spillages and water leaks has taken it's toll on the chipboard, which has increased it's thickness to dynamic proportions.

Mrs Fox likes the sleek appearance of a shiny glass surface recessed into the worktop as with an Induction Hob. I mostly do all the cooking and prefer a gas hob. I've done all the research, but you can't beat listening to someone who has hands on experience of one......If you are that person......Can you help?...And you will be entered into a prize draw......Sorry, no you won't, but it sounded professional....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2017, 09:39 AM

Re: Induction Hobs Versus Gas Hobs

Hi OGF

Sorry, I can't comment on using an induction hob as I have never used one but just wanted to mention that it's likely you would need to replace the power cable from the consumer unit, although you probably know that anyway.

A customer of mine changed to an induction hob and she was very happy with it.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2017, 09:41 AM

I have always loved a gas hob, but I can see your ladies point of view, because a sleek glass hob would be much easier to clean any spills off.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2017, 09:42 AM

We had a ceramic hob for fifteen years at our last house and thought it fantastic, and after all that time it still looked good as new. When we moved to our new place and refitted the kitchen we decided to go for the induction hob instead and it surpasses even the ceramic. It heats up the pans even faster than gas, it is superbly controllable and cleans with a wipe of a cloth afterwards, without a doubt the best appliance in the house...
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2017, 09:52 AM

I have a ceramic hob easy to clean.
My son has an induction hob and I have used them lots of times when staying in holiday houses.
They are ok when you get used to them.
If I had a choice I would have an AGA

Take into consideration your present pans may not be compatible with an induction hob so you may have to buy new ones. Pans need to be made of made from magnetisable metal like cast iron or steel. Aluminium and copper pans will only heat up if bonded with a magnetic metal.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2017, 04:26 PM

Thanks for your replies everyone.
From what you say Barry it sounds very encouraging....
I do believe they take some getting used to Meg, but perhaps it's better to embrace new technology. Yes, our pans are all non magnetic Meg, so it would bring about a new set of pans too.

Thanks also Twink, I can see her point of view, and it would be me cleaning it anyway...

Yo, Longdogs, There are some units that max out at 3kw and come with a flex and plug suitable for using in a thirteen amp socket. It would probably be fine for the amount of cooking done on said appliance....I'm no Gordon Ramsey....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2017, 08:14 PM

We have an electric hob (non-induction), but my wife keeps saying she'd like a gas hob on the grounds that the heat is instantaneous and more controllable.

I expect she'll get her way before long, but I'm the one responsible for cleaning and gas hobs are more fiddly to clean.

She's an excellent cook, but the place looks like a bomb site when she's done.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2017, 10:54 PM

I have a gas hob at home but Ive used an induction hob on many occasions. I have to say for instant heat and the style of cooking its as near to gas as you can get. In the expense of a new kitchen a bit extra for new pans wont be that noticable so go for it.

One of my home help clients is 86 and due to regulations her flat had a referb that included ripping out all gas cookers so she opted for an induction hob and she had taken to it like a duck to water. She says its so easy and is much easier to keep clean than the old gas hob.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2017, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by Cass ->
I have a gas hob at home but Ive used an induction hob on many occasions. I have to say for instant heat and the style of cooking its as near to gas as you can get. In the expense of a new kitchen a bit extra for new pans wont be that noticable so go for it.

One of my home help clients is 86 and due to regulations her flat had a referb that included ripping out all gas cookers so she opted for an induction hob and she had taken to it like a duck to water. She says its so easy and is much easier to keep clean than the old gas hob.
Good point. Yes, they need new pans to work, but cleaning up after my wife would be much easier than with gas.

I must try to persuade her.
Boot
England
Boot is female  Boot has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2017, 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Thanks for your replies everyone.
From what you say Barry it sounds very encouraging....
I do believe they take some getting used to Meg, but perhaps it's better to embrace new technology. Yes, our pans are all non magnetic Meg, so it would bring about a new set of pans too.

Thanks also Twink, I can see her point of view, and it would be me cleaning it anyway...

Yo, Longdogs, There are some units that max out at 3kw and come with a flex and plug suitable for using in a thirteen amp socket. It would probably be fine for the amount of cooking done on said appliance....I'm no Gordon Ramsey....
My partner switched to an Induction hob last year. I think it's brilliant - better than the gas hob I used to have and much better than the ceramic hob I have now.
I am now converted and will definitely switch to an induction hob before long, even though it will mean getting a new set of pans. They are so controllable, much easier to clean and safer because of the way the heat is generated in the pan, rather than radiated from the hob - and the hob rings switch off automatically when you remove the pan - even if you forget to switch the hob ring off manually.

My partner's Induction hob is the kind that is powered from a 13 amp socket. The only downside is that you can't have more than 1 ring on the maximum full 'boil' power at the same time - although there's enough power to the other rings to keep all your pans and veg steamers etc simmering at the same time. I've never found it a problem when using all the rings to cook a meal.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top