Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2012, 06:47 PM

Re: An icon, but an icon of what ---

I can't say I was a fan of Saville, but it does seem strange these women have only come forward now he is dead.
His PA of 40 years said she doesn't believe it.
The BBC have scanned there files and can find nothing to give any evidence of this happening.
It does seem strange that these women feel now is the right time, to reveal these complaints, why not earlier when they could have made quite a lot of money out of him?
Saville did a lot of charity work in this area, raising millions for hospitals in the Leeds area, actually spending many of hours of his spare time working in the hospital.
The feeling locally is that this is just a programme that the people in the ITV programme are being paid for this show, and this is the only reason it is being shown, it has also been mention that Rantzen will make good money out of it, and so will the press desperate to sell newspapers.
Is it just a Kangeroo court, what possible good can come of it, none whatsoever, I an not going to jump to any conclusion,I am going to watch the programme and make my own mind up.
There is no win win to this at all, it does seem strange that girls of 15 hadn't screamed rape, when it happened.
Who knows? no one and no one ever will no the truth.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2012, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
I can't say I was a fan of Saville, but it does seem strange these women have only come forward now he is dead.
His PA of 40 years said she doesn't believe it.
The BBC have scanned there files and can find nothing to give any evidence of this happening.
It does seem strange that these women feel now is the right time, to reveal these complaints, why not earlier when they could have made quite a lot of money out of him?
Saville did a lot of charity work in this area, raising millions for hospitals in the Leeds area, actually spending many of hours of his spare time working in the hospital.
The feeling locally is that this is just a programme that the people in the ITV programme are being paid for this show, and this is the only reason it is being shown, it has also been mention that Rantzen will make good money out of it, and so will the press desperate to sell newspapers.
Is it just a Kangeroo court, what possible good can come of it, none whatsoever, I an not going to jump to any conclusion,I am going to watch the programme and make my own mind up.
There is no win win to this at all, it does seem strange that girls of 15 hadn't screamed rape, when it happened.
Who knows? no one and no one ever will no the truth.
My Thoughts Exatly, But I will watch the Programme, out of sheer Nose.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2012, 03:00 PM

I tend to feel the same about this as Wrinkley and Roxy. There are often things crop up like this when people are dead and I wonder why nobody spoke up when he was alive. I find it difficult to believe that if the BBC had evidence they would not have acted. Jimmy Saville did not have so much power that he was untouchable and his career spanned decades. He always had a following of young girls around him whenever he appeared on stage as a DJ. - it goes with the territory.
To me this is not unlike the news that Robin Gibb had put a contract killer onto his ex wife. If he had why did nobody do something about it when he was alive. Very strange and I can only think that money is the motivation behind some of these revelations after people have died.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2012, 06:57 PM

This case is snowballing into something more than it should be, Scotland yard are now investigating the possible case.
Now I wonder why? I can only see this being nothing but a waste of public money, unless there was a cover up by someone, but the more I think of it, the more unlikely anything really significant will come out of it.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2012, 08:16 PM

Thing is that because there are accusations made and doubts - both about Saville and the BBC's lack of any action, the issue will have to run it's course.
We used to go to Manchester Belle Vue when Jimmy Saville was the DJ (my husband was a singer in a group that played there) and it was quite alarming sometimes how the fans used to mob and try to go after the performer, both on stage and back stage. I think many of them would have done just about anything to get close to the entertainers. Crazy days.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.

03-10-2012, 07:55 PM

Well it does seem to be escalating now, with three more women coming forward.
It appears that Surrey police and Sussex police have had complaints about him as late as 2005, and found no grounds to carry on with bringing a case against Saville.
It appears to be too late now to do anything to hurt him, but I shall watch the programme and make up my mind from that.
I am more interested in what the police have to say, because if the allegations are true, they appear to be at fault for not following up with prosecuting Saville.
Local people are talking about Saville on every street corner, obviously not believing what they are hearing.
Plaques on his home have been defaced, and Scarborough council are reviewing the security on his graveyard.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2012, 08:24 PM

I'll be watching it also Arthur and like you I'll make up my own mind on it, I am still shocked with the revelations, only last Christmas day when the family were all together here in the house I was singing the praises of Savile to the lot of them, a great disc jockey "They don't spin them today like Savile did". feel like a proper ass now.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK

04-10-2012, 11:08 AM

There is no need to feel a proper ass Jem. Did it happen or didn't it or was there a sliding scale of how serious his behaviour was? I don't know and I think it it is true to say that the vast majority will not know either, although they will make assumptions which cannot be defended. The man is now dead and to bring to trial a dead man is ridiculouslly unfair. I don't like accusations which people wait to make until someone is dead. If he did commit crimes like this I would think it likely he would have been prrosecuted while he was alive given that his career spanned many decades. These women have been adults for many years now and I can't understand why they waited until he was dead to complain.
I didn't watch the programme last night and I don't think I can make a decision about him one way or the other and I am not going to. He was a bit of a strange bod, but many people in show business are. I am happy to let him be - it does no practical good, but unfortunatley he is now tarnished anyway and it was so easy to do because everyone likes a "dirty story".
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2012, 02:13 PM

I only got to see part one of the program last night, unforeseen circumstances prevented me watching the greater part of it. I thought the Lady from BBC Leeds (at that time), Sue I think her name was, came across as a concerned and genuine person, her account of him in the dressing room with the 14 year old girl was very believable to me, but who am I to judge, I think I will wait untill the Police investigations are complete (if there are any investigations that is.) before I settle my mind on whether he did or did not do what he is accused of doing.
I noticed the same investigator was responsible for highlighting the Jonathan King affair.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.

04-10-2012, 02:28 PM

The jury's out, and so is the lynch mob.
I agree with Rena, nothing good can come of this, we all know that young girls threw themselves at the stars and still do, but that doesn't excuse a mans behaviour, if he did he did we can't do a thing about it, if he didn't then he has been wronged.
But no one will know, even a police inquiry wont prove it for certain..

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top