Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2012, 10:57 PM

Classical Brit Awards

Has Classical music sold out to public demand, or has culture arrived to the masses.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2012, 11:01 PM

Re: Classical Brit Awards

Hi Paul No I don't think classical music has sold out .I think there is room for all kinds of music including 'crossover' although I must admit some of it is a bit cringe making (like Andre Rieu who is on the TV at the moment).
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2012, 12:11 AM

I really enjoyed it, especially Phantom of the Opera
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2012, 10:55 AM

I don't think classical music itself has sold out to public demand - the music hasn't changed, but I think the artists as individuals now market themselves cleverly and maximise their career opportunities - dare I say they are more commercially and celebrity status aware than they used to be. I don't think this is a bad thing and IMO there is a lot of snobbery attached to classical music. Some see appreciating classical music (and other classics) as a "class" thing, which IMO is silly and pretentious. I believe James Galway is one of the greatest flautists we have ever known and he is comfortable and is superb with both classical pieces as well as Irish folk and many popular modern compositions. I don't see why there is this perceived divide.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2012, 11:13 AM

I like a broad spectrum of music and like to take everything at face value, regardless of genre. Not all classical music is good, and not all modern music is bad, to each his own ear really...
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2012, 12:04 AM

There's a big difference between classical "music" and "opera" though. I can happily sit and listen to Holst's Planet Suite, Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture or Vivaldi's Four Seasons and many others.

I was brought up on this stuff, and opera as well, as a child, but I can't say I like all of it.

We're still listening to works by Mozart from 300 years ago, and works by Lennon and McCartney from 50 years ago, which continue as instrumentals and which I believe will live on.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2012, 04:20 PM

I love the classical music, I have 16 classical on my Ipad and PC.
But I like most music especially rock except heavy metal, i can't give that the time of day.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2012, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
I like a broad spectrum of music and like to take everything at face value, regardless of genre. Not all classical music is good, and not all modern music is bad, to each his own ear really...
I'm with you on this Barry. I find a great deal of classical music quite boring and likewise a lot of modern stuff is rubbish. I love listening to piano and guitar, jazz too, but not every classical pianist 'floats my boat'
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2012, 07:01 PM

Here's a lovely piece if you've got five minutes, "il Silenzio" with a thirteen year old Melissa Venema playing the lead trumpet solo. Inspirational....
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2012, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
Here's a lovely piece if you've got five minutes, "il Silenzio" with a thirteen year old Melissa Venema playing the lead trumpet solo. Inspirational....
Barry, that so reminded me of Nini Rosso's version of Il Silenzio which my brother sent to my mother while he was stationed in Cyprus in the late 50's. It brought tears to her eyes every time she played it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top