Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2012, 07:12 AM

Pensioners to work for their pension!!!!!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-20044862

We donate to various charities that help those in need as well as unwanted animals so why should we have to work for our government pension?

What are your views, except UJ's, we all know his.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2012, 08:04 AM

Re: Pensioners to work for their pension!!!!!!!

When I first read your message heading I was outraged, especially as you contribute toward your pension during your working life but when I read the article I was far less so.

It is a pity that the UK doesn't have the Aussie ethos of community volunteering, here the State Emergency Service, Surf Live Saving, Coast Guard, Rural (Bush) Fire Brigade and many, many more ancillary organisations are almost entirely manned by volunteers. Not only do members give up their free time to train but they also fund raise, fortunately most employers recognise the value of this work and allow employees time off when emergencies strike.

Naturally as people age they tend to take up less energetic pursuits (though perhaps remain in admin) but just about all of the retirees I know take an active roll in some community organisation even if it is a few hours at the local Op Shop or voluntary work at a hospital or cancer care unit.

I suspect that if Britain had much more of this community volunteering attitude then the society would appear to be less fragmented or dysfunctional because unless you put into a community then you really aren't part of it.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2012, 08:54 AM

When I retired I did 7 years as an advisor with the CAB......until it started to feel like work then I gave it up. However, if I were expected to work for my pension I would also expect a rebate on all the NI contributions I have made over my working life.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2012, 09:13 AM

We certainly shouldn't be pressured into charity work but I agree it is a very rewarding pastime. Unfortunately without a change in culture there just aren't the opportunities at the moment in many fields, our local hospital has a waiting list of around 700 volunteers who want to help out there but no vacancies. It is also worth thinking about the fact that every volunteer replaces a paid worker, so would that seem a fair thing to do at the moment when jobs are so scarce?
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2012, 09:31 AM

Ridiculous - let him and his ilk go out and do a decent day's work instead of sitting behind a desk coming out with ludicrous suggestions like that! We have all worked hard for our pensions, paying into it and paying our taxes, some of us still having to pay taxes. If we want to go and do voluntary work, then fine. It must remain a personal choice.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2012, 10:21 AM

Lord Bichard may be an OAP himself, but I would guess he gets very well paid for what he does and it wont be on a voluntary basis - Why does he not do his work as a volunteer without pay. He is so wrong when he says older people claiming the OAP are a drain of society. They have already put into the communal pot for the majority of their lives to pay for others. Many do still work - older people make up a large part of the unseen and unsung workforce in this country who provide unpaid childcare. Many OAPs are also looking after their own parents.
I beleive it is the younger people we need to get right, along with those of working age on benefits who don't or won't work. The young need to be taught how to work and given the opportunity - if we don't there will be a huge problem later on. I think most of us can see it already.
The current generation of OAPs have generally worked hard all their working lives, brought up their children and paid into the system - they deserve their OAP and whether they choose to work or not and what they do with "THEIR" time should be their choice. I believe the OAP should not even be called a benefit - it has been earnt. I work as hard these days as I ever did and the hours are not fixed as they would be if I was in a workplace and being paid. I firmly believe I am still paying my way, although it is not registered anywhere or officially recognised. I am also paying tax on my pension - so both my husband, who is 75 next, and myself are still contributing significantly - probably a lot more than many younger folks.
Grrrrrrrrrrrr**********
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2012, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Lord Bichard may be an OAP himself, but I would guess he gets very well paid for what he does and it wont be on a voluntary basis - Why does he not do his work as a volunteer without pay. He is so wrong when he says older people claiming the OAP are a drain of society. They have already put into the communal pot for the majority of their lives to pay for others. Many do still work - older people make up a large part of the unseen and unsung workforce in this country who provide unpaid childcare. Many OAPs are also looking after their own parents.
I beleive it is the younger people we need to get right, along with those of working age on benefits who don't or won't work. The young need to be taught how to work and given the opportunity - if we don't there will be a huge problem later on. I think most of us can see it already.
The current generation of OAPs have generally worked hard all their working lives, brought up their children and paid into the system - they deserve their OAP and whether they choose to work or not and what they do with "THEIR" time should be their choice. I believe the OAP should not even be called a benefit - it has been earnt. I work as hard these days as I ever did and the hours are not fixed as they would be if I was in a workplace and being paid. I firmly believe I am still paying my way, although it is not registered anywhere or officially recognised. I am also paying tax on my pension - so both my husband, who is 75 next, and myself are still contributing significantly - probably a lot more than many younger folks.
Grrrrrrrrrrrr**********
So that's a no then is it............
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2012, 11:12 AM

Definitely Barry -
If it looks like they will interfere with the OAP then you will see me down at the Houses of Paliament at the front of the the line and shouting with my banner.
Uncle Joe - can I have a loan of one of your Uzi machine guns and a few grenades please.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2012, 11:15 AM

This is probably just a temporary phenomenon, as the baby boomers pass through the system, I think i'm correct in saying that the U.K birthrate is in decline (along with other nations) so society will restructure it's self in due course. Imo.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK

25-10-2012, 11:33 AM

Yes the baby boomers will pass through - but in the meantime there will be a lot of elderly on pensions and fewer of the working age population in productive work. I can see that there may be resentment and attempted adjustments to what the country pays out to OAPs.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top