Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2012, 09:13 AM

Re: Rip Offs

Originally Posted by The Dog Lover ->
My Kia is still under its 7 year warranty at 4 years old and I have to have Kia parts fitted at a service so rather than hunt around I get it serviced and MOT at the local Kia garage. My previous car I used to get done at Kwik Fit as their prices are really good. I don't do much mileage so generally go for the cheapest option. I haven't had a car fail an MOT for a long time. Can't remember the last time in fact. I like to get my car serviced once a year for peace of mind anyway but have to at the moment to keep the warranty in tact. I think the Kia 7 year warranty is fantastic.
It's the best guarantee around Val, and in these circumstances I agree it's well worth using the main dealer servicing to maintain the cover. My vehicle is now four years old and out of guarantee, so I use the local garage for an annual service (even though I nowhere near do enough mileage to warrant it), and I also pay for an independent after market guarantee with Warranty Wise, which covers just about every major part against failure...
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2012, 09:19 AM

When I bought my car they were giving the first three year's servicing in with the warranty. This is the first time I have paid for a service (and the MOT) with this car so I stayed with the dealership for the servicing because I had to, but I will find somewhere else next time because the VW garage does seem expensive. I have a bit of a love/hate relationsjhip with cars and because the car has always been my responsibility to drive and maintain - and I don't have much interest in how they work - I sometimes feel a bit inadequate when going into garages. Most of the time I have to trust what they tell me. Still I'm not going to do without my car and I do still enjoy driving (most of the time).
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2012, 11:30 AM

You might think this is petty, but I dislike to see companies like Tesco's who hike the price in the express shops.
Eg. buying my soya milk in the big store costs me 69p but locally where the old folk who haven't got cars go pay 72p.
I consider that a rip off myself, please don't say they have a free bus pass they can go to the big store, yes they can, but they can't carry 12 cartons of soya milk, it is big and heavy.
I know it is only 3p but to the poor out there it is a rip off.
Consequently we go further to Asda and get it even cheaper.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2012, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
The rip off comes if he wants to split the payments via monthly direct debit, an £850 quote then becomes £1380.00, £530.00 quid for paying in installments, what's that all about?.
It does seem excessive, my son pays his insurance monthly and the premium is a 15% loading on the fee month to month but at any time he can pay for the full 12 months at the proper rate. Seems reasonable to me.

Has he shopped around the different insurance companies?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2012, 12:53 PM

Hi Bruce, the plot thickens, a couple of years ago, to get him insured at any sort of affordable cost, the wife and I included him in a "Multicar" policy, the wife and I did not benefit from this financially, but the sons qoute fell substantially. Two years on and to this renewal, the company have now agreed £847.00 split over 12 months (i.e £71.00 per month no added costs) for my son, great result, my attention then turned to costs of the wifes and my policy's, they are looking to charge myself £520.00 for the year, and the wife £560.00, on the comparrison sites our lowest comparrison quotes were £223.00 and £239.00 respectively, so the "Multicar" policy seems to be clawing back of us, what the son has saved.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top