Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Cinnamon
New Member!
Herts. UK
Cinnamon is female 

29-04-2011, 05:34 PM

Epidemic of loneliness

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...cle7135506.ece

Report, Although from last year, indicates there is an increasing amount of loneliness-due to websites and people spending time on them. No longer physically interacting with people. How true do you think this is.

Is society becoming too reliant on on line chat sites. Time that they used to spend with family now taken up by on line communication?

Is this due-if you agree with the reports of loneliness, due to forums on technology, or other time factors?

Have you ever experienced feelings of loneliness?
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2011, 06:22 PM

Re: Epidemic of loneliness

That's a good subject Cinnamon, I'll just give you my tuppence worth as I see it. Personally I don't suffer from loneliness even when the Wife is not around, I like being alone as I've worked alone for a long time, and although I get cross with myself every now and then, I find it very hard to fall out with myself.
Young People are missing out on the natural ways to connect...Dances, clubs, outings, or just hanging around talking, like we used to do to make dates and get together. The chat forums or whatever you want to call them, seem to be the future and there's nothing we can do about it, if it continues for a few more Human evolutions, all you'll have is a big limbless head propped up in front of a screen with absolutely no expression on its face, who doesn't need anybody else because the reproduction issue will have been dealt with.
Cinnamon
New Member!
Herts. UK
Cinnamon is female 

29-04-2011, 07:27 PM

Thanks for your comments jemflux. Susan Greenfield also produced a paper ( see link) http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...-internet.html on how Children today are losing a variety of skills...one of which the capacity to empathise.

Storing up problems for the future ?
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2011, 08:11 PM

Interesting topic Cinnamon.
I am not sure that the reasons for modern day loneliness lie with the spending time on the internet and social networking sites. I remember that when television became the norm in everyone's life it was said that it would cause problems of communicating with each other and I don't think that happened. There are a lot more people living in single accommodation these days - a lot more divorce and separation, moving around and, of course, we are all living longer and may have to spend time living on our own as we get older. I think that all these factors have an influence on why people have problems being lonely. Loneliness has always been around - years ago some people (particularly in rural areas) lived much more isolated lives than they do now. I think that periods of being alone and being a bit lonely are things most people need to learn to cope with, because at some time in our lives we will all probably experience loneliness and isolation. It is no bad thing to learn to be content being alone and happy with your own company, although I do appreciate that being alone and being chronically lonely are different conditions.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2011, 06:54 PM

I used to be lonely ( and can still be somedays) but my son bought me a computer and now I have people to talk to here. I miss my family, my stepfather died a few years ago and that was dreadful.So we moved up here to get away from the emptyness, but you bring it with you , inside you have an empty space. Annie.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2011, 09:07 PM

Think the only time I felt 'lonely' was when my Mum died (we lived together), and that was over 20 years ago. Over time, I became content being alone and am happy with my own company, and of course I've got the Hatti girl to natter to!
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2011, 01:46 PM

In speaking for myself when I say that there are times that I crave human contact. I retired in July of last year and live alone. My personality doesn't require a lot of interaction but I tend to need to get get out of my tiny apartment just to talk to people. Sometimes it's the checkout person at a store or restaurant. I belong to a senior coffee group that meets every day at McDonald's. I don't make it every day but I'd say I average at least 4 days a week.

My main hobby is photography. It allows me to get out and then later interact with folks online as I post photos on about 6 forums. I have managed to balance direct contact with people with those I chat with online. I can certainly relate to those who might be shut in or have no internet knowledge. I'm the senior group computer guru, having sold two of my laptops to ladies belonging to that group. I'm always available to help them with their questions.

It's important that we reach out and visit those who are alone. I offer rides to church luncheons & services as well as strangers who need rides for a number of reasons. I don't have a lot of money but I have tons of time. Use time well and you'll never be lonely.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2011, 06:31 PM

Some-one said "No man is an island" but I think we all are.It sounds as if I lived alone but I am married, a marriage of convenience, but you can be in a room full of people and feel alone.And have you noticed how you become invisible.I used to go out but having a hearing problem makes it awkward. I have two hearing aides but its not what its cracked up to be. Annie.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria

03-05-2011, 04:23 PM

As you get older you sometimes get mixed up!May you keep what brains you have into old age, Annie.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2011, 07:05 PM

I watched a great biopic on itv4 last Saturday about Roy Orbison and this thread brought this track to mind..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNwHY...eature=related

Enjoy....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top