Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2011, 08:23 PM

Re: Epidemic of loneliness

Originally Posted by plantman ->
I watched a great biopic on itv4 last Saturday about Roy Orbison and this thread brought this track to mind..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNwHY...eature=related

Enjoy....
Barry, I've been a huge Roy Orbison fan my whole life. I have a number of his albums but particularly love his last one, "A Black & White Evening With Roy Orbison".
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2011, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Cinnamon ->
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...cle7135506.ece

Report, Although from last year, indicates there is an increasing amount of loneliness-due to websites and people spending time on them. No longer physically interacting with people. How true do you think this is.

Is society becoming too reliant on on line chat sites. Time that they used to spend with family now taken up by on line communication?
No. I think memories of `what it used to be like` are highly selective. If you read the fiction of the time, people of all ages were sometimes isolated or alienated. If anything, chat forums have opened up lines of communication.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2011, 02:57 AM

Re whether surfing the web contributes to loneliness: We bought my mom a computer for her 71st birthday 12 years ago and she took to it with great enthusiasm. She loves researching topics on the web for her peer learning group at the seniors' centre. She is very social and does get out and about but she also makes good use of email to stay in touch with family and friends all over the country. My daughter sends photos of her baby (first great-grandchild) which mom prints in colour and posts on her frig. She recently joined FaceBook - the first I knew of it was getting a friend request from her! I'd say she's far from lonely.
Dalesman2
lancashire
Dalesman2 is male  Dalesman2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2012, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by anniemuldoon ->
Some-one said "No man is an island" but I think we all are.It sounds as if I lived alone but I am married, a marriage of convenience, but you can be in a room full of people and feel alone.And have you noticed how you become invisible.I used to go out but having a hearing problem makes it awkward. I have two hearing aides but its not what its cracked up to be. Annie.
I understood you perfectly Annie.
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2012, 01:42 PM

I was in that place where loneliness consumed me when I was in my late 20s. As has been said I was alone in a crowd. As a result of my aloneness I made poor decisions on wives that resulted in divorce and heartache. By the time of my third and final marriage I had learned to be content with myself. My third wife didn't love me but married me out of convenience. I wish she had told me that earlier so I wouldn't have spent 15 years in hell.

Now I've been alone for 15 or more years and quite content. I still need social contact which my McDonald's senior coffee clutch provides. I'm the happiest I've been in decades in my retirement. I'm never bored or lonely. My goodness there is too much to do, places to go and people to meet now that I have the time.

I still remember the dark days and the depression. I still have days, on occasion, where I might be upset or blue but they don't last more than a day. I'm glad that I can live out my life happy.
Steve MacLellan
New Member!
Nova Scotia, Canada
Steve MacLellan is male 

14-06-2012, 02:29 PM

I don't have a wife or girlfriend right now. But I have a teenage daughter from my second marriage who lives with me, so my situation isn't the same as being alone. But there are always things to do if you want to.

I'm not a member of the Airforce club here in town, but someone will sign me in if I go over on a Friday night. Pretty well every there's 50 or over. It nice, people are friendly. But there are lots of other things to do.

My mom, for example, is turning 80 this year. She has been alone since Dad died in 2006 and she lives alone. She's only about 15 minutes away because we live in the same town. But she spends her time at card parties, bowling, and taking courses at the community college. She's enjoying this time. I think some people will and some people won't. We are all wired a little differently. Some can learn to enjoy, others won't.

Regards,
Steve
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2012, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by bobmielke ->
I was in that place where loneliness consumed me when I was in my late 20s. As has been said I was alone in a crowd. As a result of my aloneness I made poor decisions on wives that resulted in divorce and heartache. By the time of my third and final marriage I had learned to be content with myself. My third wife didn't love me but married me out of convenience. I wish she had told me that earlier so I wouldn't have spent 15 years in hell.

Now I've been alone for 15 or more years and quite content. I still need social contact which my McDonald's senior coffee clutch provides. I'm the happiest I've been in decades in my retirement. I'm never bored or lonely. My goodness there is too much to do, places to go and people to meet now that I have the time.

I still remember the dark days and the depression. I still have days, on occasion, where I might be upset or blue but they don't last more than a day. I'm glad that I can live out my life happy.
Me too Bob I was frequently lonely when I was young but never when I was by myself , only when I was with other people.
The circumstances of my childhood made me an outsider and this has stayed with me to this day.

I was only 35 years old when I was widowed and despite the best efforts of family and friends I resolved to spend the rest of my life as a single person.

I was sad when the time came for my son to leave home and I missed his company but I have never been lonely living alone.
Maybe I am one of the luck ones , happy in my own company
Steve MacLellan
New Member!
Nova Scotia, Canada
Steve MacLellan is male 

14-06-2012, 03:07 PM

I thought of being a widower at 35.... but murder is against the law....

Regards,
Steve
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2012, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Steve MacLellan ->

Regards,
Steve
Oh Steve that is a sad situation to be in but one that is all to common I would guess .
bobmielke
Portland, OR

14-06-2012, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Steve MacLellan ->

Regards,
Steve
In one regard I owe my last wife a debt of gratitude. She taught me there are worse things than being alone.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top