Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2012, 02:39 AM

Re: Six more deaths in Afghanistan

It is so very sad, but please, would you all find it within your hearts to feel the same sadness for our lovely lads who died in Northern Ireland?

In 1979 my husband was sent there on a 2-year posting. He was not on the streets, but many lads whom we knew were.

I don't mean to take away anything of what is going on now, absolutely not, but, in 1980 my husband and I had gone out for a drink in the Club and we were laughing and chatting to three members of the Intelligence Corps.

They were lovely lads full of fun and comical but, the next day at work I read in Increps (Incident Reports) and all three had been killed with a road bomb.

This is something that never leaves you, and will remain with me forever, remembering their happy smiles just one night before they died.

I'm sorry - perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned this, but it was something that affected me personally, and others at the time, and something I will never forget.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2012, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
It is so very sad, but please, would you all find it within your hearts to feel the same sadness for our lovely lads who died in Northern Ireland?

In 1979 my husband was sent there on a 2-year posting. He was not on the streets, but many lads whom we knew were.

I don't mean to take away anything of what is going on now, absolutely not, but, in 1980 my husband and I had gone out for a drink in the Club and we were laughing and chatting to three members of the Intelligence Corps.

They were lovely lads full of fun and comical but, the next day at work I read in Increps (Incident Reports) and all three had been killed with a road bomb.

This is something that never leaves you, and will remain with me forever, remembering their happy smiles just one night before they died.

I'm sorry - perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned this, but it was something that affected me personally, and others at the time, and something I will never forget.
Including all those shot and killed by 2 Para on 'Bloody Sunday' and all other Republicans who were shot and killed by Loyalist para military from intelligence given to them by the British Army.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2012, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Including all those shot and killed by 2 Para on 'Bloody Sunday' and all other Republicans who were shot and killed by Loyalist para military from intelligence given to them by the British Army.
There is much dishonour in war Geoff, and no side has the monopoly on that. Many innocents died in that conflict, but they were all their lives were of equal value in the eyes of their families.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2012, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Mollie ->

My husband was injured in northern Ireland. He first went there in 69' during the Bogside riots and his job at the time was to prevent the protestants from killing the catholics.
In addition to his injuries which we believe contributed to his death some years later he witnessed two of his soldiers being blown to pieces in front of his eyes by a bomb hidden in a dustbin.

After he finished his tours of duty, my husband was seconded to work with 'a group of people' developing counter terrorism equipment which was hoped would save many lives.
I can speak about it now. At the time he would disappear for days on end and I was not allowed to know where he was or what he was doing but I guessed . He was on the borders in 'bandit country' testing devices which would help to detect the presence of people planting bombs.

So like you Mollie I can empathise with the wives and mothers of the boys in Afghanistan
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

10-03-2012, 11:59 PM

The tragic loss of life this week rightly makes the headlines but sadly only until the poor souls and their families are identified in order to sell media and then it slips once more under the radar.

When the repatriation vehicles passed through Wooton Bassett it served as a stark reminder of the ultimate sacrifices being made for this country of ours. I would hazard a guess that not many would even know that since the route was changed another 23 brave people have been lost due to the war in Afghanistan. However, it is true to say that some have died in hospital in the UK. Nevertheless the total fatalities have reached 404.

There is it seems to me a great deal of irony bordering on hypocrisy when the nation throws up its hands in collective anguish but then promptly sits on them whilst our people continue to be killed and maimed for nothing.

One would think that it is well past the time that the nation protested en masse for our troops' immediate withdrawal and made sure that we are loud enough to be heard. Something has to be done to stop these desk bound generals and MP's playing wargames with our people for absolutely nothing that most sane folks can see.

Sadly however there seems to be little support for this thinking; a trawl round the online Government petitions show as an example one proposing a complete withdrawal before 2014 has only 49 signatures to date and the Justice for disabled Military personnel totals 131.
It is correct to say at the time of writing considerably more people have signed a petition against the culling of Canada Geese.

As to the 'duty of care' for our armed forces, what began as an unspoken pact between the country and all the military, said to go back as far back as Henry VIII has been slowly but inexorably becoming meaningless. Reading the parliamentary report last year on the Armed Forces Covenant there seemed to be a glimmer of hope but the long awaited Armed Forces Act 2011 would seem to leave an awful lot to be desired. Yet another set of empty promises made by both governments.

To stay on topic that should be another thread.
inthemoment777
United Kingdom
inthemoment777 is male  inthemoment777 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2012, 01:58 AM

Hello Plantman.

I have read a few of your posts, in replying to this one I have no desire to offend you but I feel I may, as I have some opposing opinions to yours.

First of all I get a bit miffed when you say "our lads" please sir speak for yourself, for they are not my lads and not heroes to me, nor do I think as many other do that they are protecting this country by their actions in Afghanistan.

While it is unfortunate to see troops being killed there, my heart does not go out to these young men who voluntary sign up to kill in an illegal war. My heart goes out to the 2 million innocent women and children who are shot and blown to pieces by "your lads".

Sir you ask why we are in Afghanistan, this tells me that you perhaps watch too much tel-a-lie-a-vision and have not researched the subject for yourself. Although I acknowledge that you at least recognise the stupidity and futility of this operation.

A little independent research will show that the reason the troops are in Afghanistan is opium! Afghanistan produces around 85% of the worlds opium in the region of Hal Man Provence. Coincidentally right beside British HQ!

The government is dealing in opium and shipping it on to our streets while telling the people that they are tough on drugs. How do you think we are funding these illegal wars?

I also believe that there are no Taliban killing "your lads" only CIA funded snipers and land mines to convince the people back home that the troops are needed there. Where are the Taliban prisoners? dead bodies? where are their many voice's? Surely in this day and age they have mobile phones why are they not uploading their oppression and killings on to you tube and other social networking sights?

Now I know this will go against the grain because you appear to be pro military and you will not believe this, all you have to do is research. Hitler once said "It's a good job for leaders that people do not think for the bigger the lie the more people will believe it".

Afghanistan is also the worlds biggest producer of lithium which powers every lap top and mobile phone!

I don't understand why so many people join up after what Henry Kissinger said - "Military men are dumb stupid animals to be used in Americas foreign policy to profit from the third world's natural resources".

His words not mine.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top