Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2012, 03:18 PM

Teacher suspended for giving zeros

So... in the news this week, a teacher gave zeros to students who missed tests and failed to complete assignments. The school where he teaches has a 'no-zero' policy, based on the thinking that "a failure to complete assignments is a behavourial issue, and marks should reflect ability, not behaviour." The teacher has been suspended but chose not to appeal. He's made his point.

Should there not be consequences for the 'behavioural issues' of students who miss tests and fail to do assignments? School funding depends to a degree on the students' grades. Whose responsibility is it to ensure the marks are earned?

If you were an employer, would you be satisfied with a job applicant who had the ability to do the job but had a track record of incomplete assignments?

Suppose my accountant is brilliant but doesn't bother to file my tax return on time (or at all)?

How long would my mechanic stay in business if he knows cars inside and out but doesn't feel he has to prove it by servicing my brakes?
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2012, 03:49 PM

Re: Teacher suspended for giving zeros

The Powers that be have all gone soft. When I was at School you earned your Marks by being on time and actually doing the Work. No Show...No Marks. Untill everyone has enough of the nonsense that goes on today.......it will continue
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2012, 04:02 PM

Hi Annie, I taught in FE for 23 years and I well remember a class of would-be engineers who were so poor at mathematics (my subject) that not a single student passed. I ran the risk of the management blaming me but nevertheless I stuck to my guns as they were extremely poor students. As it happened no one queried it so I assume that the boss had faith in me.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2012, 05:17 PM

I agree with Roxy - if the work is not done or if someone doesn't turn up for an exam how can any marks be earned for it. The students have a responsibility to turn up and do the work to get their marks. If they have the ability they need to prove it by using it.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2012, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
Hi Annie, I taught in FE for 23 years and I well remember a class of would-be engineers who were so poor at mathematics (my subject) that not a single student passed. I ran the risk of the management blaming me but nevertheless I stuck to my guns as they were extremely poor students. As it happened no one queried it so I assume that the boss had faith in me.
Well I for one thank you for not helping them graduate as engineers! Let's hope nobody incapable of math is out there designing bridges or nuclear generators.
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

10-06-2012, 01:45 PM

It depends I suppose. I doubt many pieces of work are bad enough to attract a zero mark.

Last year one of my grandsons, who was then only six, had a newly qualified teacher so was so determined to have her pupils succeed she put far too much pressure on them. She kept them in at playtime for not finishing their work etc. This knocked the confidence of the class so much so this year's teacher has had a heck of a time building it up again! My grandson is a bright kid but he thinks he isn't good at anything. His parents have decided to send him to a new school tomorrow where the ethos will build up his confidence.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada

10-06-2012, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Willow ->
It depends I suppose. I doubt many pieces of work are bad enough to attract a zero mark.
He gave a zero for every assignment not handed in and for every test missed. Zero effort warrants a zero mark, and I agree with that.

Last year one of my grandsons, who was then only six, had a newly qualified teacher so was so determined to have her pupils succeed she put far too much pressure on them. She kept them in at playtime for not finishing their work etc. This knocked the confidence of the class so much so this year's teacher has had a heck of a time building it up again! My grandson is a bright kid but he thinks he isn't good at anything. His parents have decided to send him to a new school tomorrow where the ethos will build up his confidence.
The teacher sounds very insecure. Let's hope at six he can rally from that experience with better educators! Glad his parents are making that move.
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

11-06-2012, 03:07 PM

Naturally our grandson had the choice, if he had hated the idea they certainly wouldn't have forced it on him. He was favourably impressed when he had a full day's visit to the school about two weeks ago. I will be interested to see how his first day as a pupil went today.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada

12-06-2012, 01:34 AM

Naturally our grandson had the choice, if he had hated the idea they certainly wouldn't have forced it on him. He was favourably impressed when he had a full day's visit to the school about two weeks ago. I will be interested to see how his first day as a pupil went today.
Off to a good start then, if he was impressed.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2012, 01:01 PM

Quite right, I got a mark in French for spelling my name correctly. I still came bottom though.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top