Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Gabi
Lancs,.
Gabi is female  Gabi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2012, 11:47 PM

Re: Endurance.

Originally Posted by mesco m ->
I can't endure queues and would do without rather than stand in one. I can't endure patronising people, who refer to me as young lady And I can't endure people who constantly whine about their lot in life and how hard done by they are.
Neither can I endure false sincerity and a**e lickers.
I will add to my list of non endurance, tale spinners, truth stretchers and manipulators.

I think that just about covers it

We might not want to endure but fortunately we do.
Well you've said all for me too.....I also can't endure ppl who say one thing and do another or one rule for them and a different one for others.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2012, 11:15 AM

Like a lot of others on here I do not suffer fools gladly. Have endured a lot of pain these past eight years having had a series of operations. Have endured nights of watch-keeping on cold, wet nights. Have endured the agonies of commuting, getting stuck with signal failures, broken down trains and snow and ice on the track.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2012, 11:37 AM

Good topic Jem, but is it to endure, or is it to tolerate, that is the question I suppose. Pretty much the same thing you may say, but I suppose if we consider ourselves to be civilised we must not only endure, but we must also tolerate our endurance...
mazzie
Scotland
mazzie is female 

13-07-2012, 12:24 PM

That's another way of looking at it plantman.
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2012, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by The Dog Lover ->
Now children are the one thing I've no patience with. I would never babysit for anyone and avoid babies and toddlers when at all possible as I find them irritating to the extreme.

Would spend lots of time with animals though as they are so much nicer IMO.

Well its good we are all different.
spent 19 years working with children they make me happy
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2012, 02:59 PM

Definitely Barry - I don't know how I endure being so tolerant someimes

To be pedantic (whilst being tolerant and enduring )
I think there is a significance difference in meaning between endurance and tolerance.
I don't think the limit of endurance is generally clearly defined, whereas tolerance is often well defined (particularly engineering tolerances).
For example :-

Endurance = (sufferance, stamina, resilience, or durability) the ability of an organism to exert itself and remain active for a long period of time, as well as its ability to resist, withstand, recover from, and have immunity to wounds, or fatigue.

Tolerance = the practice of permitting a thing of which one disapproves, such as social, ethnic, sexual, or religious practices.
Tolerance
in engineering and safety = to fall within specified limits, e.g size - a physical distance or space (tolerance), such as the safe clearance at which a truck (lorry), train or boat can freely pass under a bridge and not get its lid sliced off.

I always will remember my grandma telling me when I was going through a particularly rough patch that - "I would endure". When I asked what she meant she said that that throughout life I would find the resources to cope and manage and that if I remained strong and faced things bravely I would always find something within myself to deal with problems or adversity. I think these words have proved true for me and I have never forgotten the quiet and certain way she told me this. She was a wise mentor and teacher.
Jonsey
South western France
Jonsey is male 

13-07-2012, 03:07 PM

Its nothing to do with "endurance", in reality its dealing with life little foibles.
just imagine if you will, the perfect scenario, a really happy care free childhood, a husband or wife that was all that you ever wanted ---children that were perfect in every way, a retirement with grandchildren who never screamed, your childrens wife or hubby being the perfect beast ---- ohhhhhhhhhhhh come on ----- that would drive you all mad.

Lifes arguement -- impatience --- trials and tribulations ---these are the things we all adore-- perhaps not at the moment they are happening --- but later , when you relate them, embellishing them as we al do, those are what make life "endurances" all worthwhile.

Its the rich tapestry in which we live, without "endurances" etc etc life would be bloody boring.
mazzie
Scotland
mazzie is female 

13-07-2012, 03:19 PM

I have to say the perfect scenario so beautifully laid out by Jonsey sounds extremely boring. I don't think any of us really ever wanted that. All the crap that life throws at us through the years is what makes us who we are. I believe it was some unpronouncable German philosopher who said "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger" We learn through the years to deal with stuff and if we can't change it, we tolerate it.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2012, 04:58 PM

But what if we can't change it and we can't tolerate it either - do we go under? - without sufficient resilience or resources to endure it - i.e. deal with it/overcome it/come to terms with it (whatever the it may be) I think we go under - without endurance we are not bored Jonsey we are "finished" - "stuffed" - "kaput"
mazzie
Scotland
mazzie is female 

13-07-2012, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
But what if we can't change it and we can't tolerate it either - do we go under? - without sufficient resilience or resources to endure it - i.e. deal with it/overcome it/come to terms with it (whatever the it may be) I think we go under - without endurance we are not bored Jonsey we are finished - "stuffed"

Then we need medical intervention. We are engineered to deal with what life throws at us and if we are unable to do so, either by sorting it or tolerating it, then we certainly need some professional help in order to cope with life.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top