Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2012, 05:30 PM

Re: Endurance.

Originally Posted by mazzie ->
Then we need medical intervention. We are engineered to deal with what life throws at us and if we are unable to do so, either by sorting it or tolerating it, then we certainly need some professional help in order to cope with life.
That's true Mazzie, we are individually "engineered" to deal with what life throws at us and some are more robustly "engineered" than others, although I wasn't just thinking of mental endurance but physical endurance as well. Inevitably there comes a time when our personal supply of endurance is spent and cannot be replenished - even with medical intervention.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2012, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Like a lot of others on here I do not suffer fools gladly. Have endured a lot of pain these past eight years having had a series of operations. Have endured nights of watch-keeping on cold, wet nights. Have endured the agonies of commuting, getting stuck with signal failures, broken down trains and snow and ice on the track.
UJ until we have had to suffer constant pain I don't think we can really know about endurance .

I had a taste of constant pain a couple of years ago and that really did require a degree of endurance.
mazzie
Scotland
mazzie is female 

13-07-2012, 07:02 PM

You're right Meg.......it takes some serious endurance to suffer constant pain but I feel there is always a secret store of it hidden away somewhere within us.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2012, 09:27 PM

I think endurance is a very personal thing. No one knows what another has to endure unless they confide in you.
Jonsey
South western France
Jonsey is male 

14-07-2012, 09:16 AM

To Aerolor, And I quote, >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

i.e. deal with it/overcome it/come to terms with it (whatever the it may be) I think we go under - without endurance we are not bored Jonsey we are "finished" - "stuffed" - "kaput"

Not at all, over the the past few decades so many types of councellors / phsycologists,/et etc have sprung up to deal with these things, most of which I would think were self induced .

When men and women came home from the last great war there were no physcologists / councellors etc, to go to, they just had to bear up and get on with it, these days we seem to have lost that ability and are sent, nearly, for the slightest reason to one of these people.

They , in my opininion, in the main, do no real good,, from what Ive heard its just a case of ----ohhhhhhhh you poor soul, here's some tablets, try them , if they aren't strong enough come back for more".Of course I am generalising here.

Or they are sent to a "home" where they are analysed etc etc etc at a large cost to the taxpayer, and then let loose. Basically there is not a lot wrong with them, and if they thought a little more positively a lot of them could, "cure themselves".

That said, I realise there are genuine cases where, depression etc is a main factor, these can be CONTROLLED by drugs but never cured, but perhaps its me being "hard arsed" again you put yourself in such a situation and in all honesty, only you can get yourself out of it, a good analogy would those addicted to drugs / gamgling etc, no-one forced them into it -- and if they had the 'balls" to try, only they can stop the addiction.
Jonsey
South western France
Jonsey is male 

14-07-2012, 09:26 AM

But the physical pain we may have to endure is "containable" to a certain degree with drugs, ok perhaps not the perfect scenario and perhaps it doesn't "mask" all pains.

Drugs may have a "side effect" on you that will certainly not allow you to, lets say, drive a car, --- go to a Saturday "bop" ---- but they will ease that pain.

Constant pain though i would think would be just about the only thing that would "take you over the edge", but then you have to define PAIN. Is it physiical ---mental --- imaginary --- ec etc and don't tell me thats what a physcologist will tell you, if its physical, it's there day and night, if its mental, well possiby something can be done about it , if its imaginary, well get off your arse, stop feeling sorry for yourself and get on with your life and stop wasting taxpayers money.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2012, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by mazzie ->
You're right Meg.......it takes some serious endurance to suffer constant pain but I feel there is always a secret store of it hidden away somewhere within us.
Mazzie I know from personal experience having spent many years as a volunteer with a large organisation that this is not so in some instances.
When circumstances/pain/just coping with life gets too much for some people to endure they take their own lives .
Jonsey
South western France
Jonsey is male 

14-07-2012, 10:04 AM

To a "normal" person, taking ones life is really not an option, but there are those that that want ---to end it all ----. Surely though , if, in that persons life has got to the stage where they think that is the only way out, then let them do it ---- problem solved.

I can see the fingers banging away on the keyboards already -----HEARTLESS ---- CRUEL ---- THEY NEED HELP ---- ETC ETC ETC

A person wishing to commit suicide will go away somewhere and do it without fuss or historyonics, they have decided enough is enough, that is their right, and I don't give a damn what religion or the law says about it.

There are those that would like to do it but still have that"pull" for life, and yes in some caes they need help, either medical or phsycological, but also there are many that just need a good kick up the backside in order to get back in the "mainstream" of life.

We all have gone through times when I am sure we have thought to ourselves, "is it all worthwhile", and yes , of course its all worthwhile, most of us realise that and move on, but because the "law is an Ass" there are those that would like to die with some dignity via suicide, and in my opinion they have that right. We do not have the right to stop a person wanting to die if they think that is their only way out of whatever "pain" they are suffering.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2012, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Mazzie I know from personal experience having spent many years as a volunteer with a large organisation that this is not so in some instances.
When circumstances/pain/just coping with life gets too much for some people to endure they take their own lives .
I have watched a close family member endure. No one knows what agonies they suffer but it is heartbreaking to stand by and be unable to help ease their pain, or lift the burden they carry, real or imagined. His torment was great. When he finally ran out of endurance he took his life.

You have my admiration working as a volunteer. Some times all that is needed is for some one to give a different perspective on the problem and not all are able to do it. As you will know, endurance is a very personal thing. The pain of the mind can be just as severe as the pain of the body.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2012, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Jonsey ->
To a "normal" person, taking ones life is really not an option, but there are those that that want ---to end it all ----. Surely though , if, in that persons life has got to the stage where they think that is the only way out, then let them do it ---- problem solved.

I can see the fingers banging away on the keyboards already -----HEARTLESS ---- CRUEL ---- THEY NEED HELP ---- ETC ETC ETC

A person wishing to commit suicide will go away somewhere and do it without fuss or historyonics, they have decided enough is enough, that is their right, and I don't give a damn what religion or the law says about it.

There are those that would like to do it but still have that"pull" for life, and yes in some caes they need help, either medical or phsycological, but also there are many that just need a good kick up the backside in order to get back in the "mainstream" of life.

We all have gone through times when I am sure we have thought to ourselves, "is it all worthwhile", and yes , of course its all worthwhile, most of us realise that and move on, but because the "law is an Ass" there are those that would like to die with some dignity via suicide, and in my opinion they have that right. We do not have the right to stop a person wanting to die if they think that is their only way out of whatever "pain" they are suffering.
Jonesy once again it is an individual thing to want to end it all, by golly I have thought about it way back, but I am certainly glad I never did.
Personally I have a very high pain level, having had rheumatoid arthritis for 40 years, and much much more problems that really gave me hell, but I am still here and glad I did not do something silly.
I now feel very little pain when I should, but it does make me think that it is mind over matter.
You are right we can't feel the pain folks go through, but by looking at someone you can see it sometimes.
I don't take any painkillers at all now.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top