Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Jonsey
South western France
Jonsey is male 

02-08-2012, 02:21 PM

An honest answer !!!!

Now that the Olympics are well on their way and medals are flowing, those of you that don't like sport, ---are pee'd off because your favourite programme has been stopped for a fortnight, or are just generally disgruntled about the cost --disruption --etc.

When you see that Team GB has won another medal, or actually caught a glimpse of an exciting final race where they came --1st --2nd --or third, don't you now have a secret 'thrill" of pride that one of ours has ---COME THROUGH -- or has all pride of "nationalism" simply passed you by???

Me ??? Well I can take or leave sport on T.V. but I have to admit to my veins standing as I shout and scream at the T.V. for a fellow countryman who is giving his/ her all for the sake of and pride of achievement
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2012, 02:42 PM

Re: An honest answer !!!!

Honest answer Jonesy? I really couldn't give a monkey's

I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in any sort of sport and never have had. If the individual enjoys it then good luck to them, but win, lose or draw it doesn't have any effect on me whatsoever. I have never understood what supposed benefit a country gets from someone winning a sporting event, or why it is so important, and no-one yet has been able to explain that to me.. As for sport bringing people together, I can't think of much that is more divisive, it's more often like a tribal war with the popular team games..
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2012, 02:49 PM

Honest answer ...

Hmm.
I don't as a rule watch sport. And the Tv schedule it has replaced is pretty much rubbish anyway.
I shudder to think what the final figure for the cost of this jamboree will be.

But yes ... I have watched a few events and when we got the first medal I did cheer .. whilst chuntering under my breath 'About bladdy time!'
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2012, 04:11 PM

I've no interest in any sport at all, never have had. I'd be thrilled and proud to see a programme about any Brits achieving some academic, scientific or other worthwhile accolades, making some groundbreaking discovery or other - but running, jumping, swimming doesn't do it for me.
Jonsey
South western France
Jonsey is male 

02-08-2012, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by eccles ->
I've no interest in any sport at all, never have had. I'd be thrilled and proud to see a programme about any Brits achieving some academic, scientific or other worthwhile accolades, making some groundbreaking discovery or other - but running, jumping, swimming doesn't do it for me.
Eccles, they are doing that day in day out, they just don't have a four year spectacular to see if mine are better than yours.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2012, 08:00 PM

Hi Jonsey, I have a middling interest in sport but I'm thoroughly enjoying the games............and cheering on team GB.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2012, 08:20 PM

[QUOTE=plantman;206221]Honest answer Jonesy? I really couldn't give a monkey's

Nor could I. In any sport I watch, which is pretty minimal, I really don't care what nationality wins, as long as it is the best competitor who wins.
I'm afraid I must be rather devoid of national pride when it comes to sport.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2012, 08:21 PM

I am not sporty, but I think I am fairly competitive in other ways. So yes I am proud and pleased when the representatives of our country do well and get a medal.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2012, 08:27 PM

I am not a great fan of sport but am proud of our team and the medals they have achieved

My cousins husband is an Olympic Coach so I will be watching his discipline with interest .
ukmartian
Ipswich uk
ukmartian is male  ukmartian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2012, 08:35 PM

My Honest answer ....remember it is my opinion ...the only bit of the Olympics i have watched is on the news ..i have avoided it like the plague ..why , because it has cost the country £24 billion to stage .....this government has increased Taxes and cut benefits for the people who need them most ..there are people who have worked all their lives relying on food parcels ...hospitals and the health service are in trouble ......dont get me wrong i dont hate sport ..there is a time and place for everything ...in this case the timing is wrong and the priorities are wrong .....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top