Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
poohdog
Nottinghamshire UK
poohdog is male  poohdog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2012, 08:54 PM

Re: An honest answer !!!!

Not the slightest bit interested in any of it..In a fortnight the news will full of Syria,Afghanistan,and humans slaughtering each other again...back to normal.
mazzie
Scotland
mazzie is female 

02-08-2012, 11:02 PM

I was never a sports fan but I've been watching as many olympic events as I can and I'm enjoying it thoroughly. And I cheer every time Team GB win a medal.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2012, 07:40 AM

Honest answer is that I have not gone out of my way to watch the Olympics, but I am this afternoon, yet what I have watch has really got me on the edge of my seat cheering them on.
Steve, the olympics cost £900 billion to stage, which includes all the new buildings etc, the opening ceremony cost £27 billion, which was paid for by sponsors not the government.
Jonsey
South western France
Jonsey is male 

03-08-2012, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by ukmartian ->
My Honest answer ....remember it is my opinion ...the only bit of the Olympics i have watched is on the news ..i have avoided it like the plague ..why , because it has cost the country £24 billion to stage .....this government has increased Taxes and cut benefits for the people who need them most ..there are people who have worked all their lives relying on food parcels ...hospitals and the health service are in trouble ......dont get me wrong i dont hate sport ..there is a time and place for everything ...in this case the timing is wrong and the priorities are wrong .....
Makes you wonder if Uncle Joe and UkMartin are related
ukmartian
Ipswich uk
ukmartian is male  ukmartian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2012, 09:24 AM

I am not going to start a political argument but i find it very hard to believe that the government has not stumped up any cash for these games ...police and security are not privately founded I have attached a link with does explain a lot ..yes it is a few months old but the budget has risen since the ....

... Cost of Olympics to spiral to £24bn… - Daily Mail
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/.../Londo...spiral-24bn--1... 27 Jan 2012
– '
Waste of money': Taxpayers' money was used to pay for this £335000 ... The government has just allocated an extra £41million (with a £7million .... "Never in the field of human endevour, has so much been spent, coming ..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-estimate.html
mazzie
Scotland
mazzie is female 

03-08-2012, 10:05 AM

Is it just me..................or has the debate about the cost of the olympics been done to death on here already. Apologies if I'm mistaken.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2012, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
Honest answer Jonesy? I really couldn't give a monkey's

I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in any sort of sport and never have had. If the individual enjoys it then good luck to them, but win, lose or draw it doesn't have any effect on me whatsoever. I have never understood what supposed benefit a country gets from someone winning a sporting event, or why it is so important, and no-one yet has been able to explain that to me.. As for sport bringing people together, I can't think of much that is more divisive, it's more often like a tribal war with the popular team games..
Whoaaaaa Barry we have actually found something that we entirely agree on - THAT has to be a record!!! and for the benefit of others on here - yes I don't give a stuff for the Olympics or indeed any other sporting event.
Jonsey
South western France
Jonsey is male 

03-08-2012, 02:35 PM

So does that mean the old adage -------F**K you Jack, I'm alright------------ is rampant --- lets have vote coz I say so and all that money spent on the Olympics can pay for it. Perhaps that is why extreme "left wingism" has never flourished in a civilised democracy, but that said, Plantman I bow to your dislike of things sporting, we all have our own preferences.
romfty
spain
romfty is male 

09-08-2012, 03:42 PM

Just found this thread and yes I do get excited when I hear one of the sports that we all take part in, like rowing oh yes...a gold, brilliant! or slalome canoeing, oh joy!. wait....shooting......well done chaps and horsey medals as well.............yep all good sports for the people.........

my missus and nipper managed to get two tickets to one session of the diving.........cost £95 each ! add that to the cost of getting there, over priced refreshment etc........
inthemoment777
United Kingdom
inthemoment777 is male  inthemoment777 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2012, 01:02 AM

I consider 99% of the PROGRAMMES on the tel-a-lie-a-vision are a complete distraction from what is actually going on in the world. They are not called PROGRAMMES for nothing, people are programmed as to what they should be thinking about.

Have you ever wondered what you would think about if you never watched TV? When was the last time you watched a cycling event before the Olympics?

We are nearly entering a depression, thousands are homeless living in the street, millions are unemployed, 20,000 old people die each year because they cannot heat their homes, illnesses and diseases are through the roof, hospitals and schools closing, yet the government spends billions on an event that lasts 6 weeks while bulldozing people from their homes to make way for sports arenas.

I can think of hundreds of more important needs where the money could have been better spent.

What the government does is distract the people and saturate them with sport and celebrity culture distracting them from the real issues in society.

I would prefer if the elderly did not have to die unnecessarily and give the money to them rather than to an event with somebody I have never heard of before ridding a bike around a track for his own ends.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top