Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2012, 10:59 PM

When The Chips Are Down

At a point of crisis, I am not sure I would be much use to anyone, I would like to think I am, but am not sure I could live up to what my personal expectation would be. Anyone else question their performance in a crisis?
Kitty
London
Kitty is female  Kitty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2012, 11:18 PM

Re: When The Chips Are Down

I've always been at my best under pressure, no matter what the situation is, and so far touch wood i think i have come through what live has thrown at me so far.

Its when whatever has happened,is over then i feel like I've been hit by a truck.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2012, 11:20 PM

Paul I think during a crisis many people act instinctively and are able to do things which they would normally consider to be beyond their capabilities.

I am sure it is also usual for people to question their performance in a crisis particularly asking themselves could I have done more.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2012, 11:29 PM

Thank you Meg, tonight I saw a thread where I could offer no answer.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2012, 11:31 PM

I think it depends on the crisis. When I found my partner dead I went into complete shut-down through shock, and it was because my friend was with me at the time she made the 999 call. I thought he'd collapsed at the time, and didn't know he'd died, but he had.

On the other side of the coin, if I saw people involved in an accident, I'd like to think I would be able to act quickly, but one just doesn't know until the crisis presents itself.

Depends on the crisis, or have I misunderstood the question?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2012, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
I think it depends on the crisis. When I found my partner dead I went into complete shut-down through shock, and it was because my friend was with me at the time she made the 999 call. I thought he'd collapsed at the time, and didn't know he'd died, but he had.

On the other side of the coin, if I saw people involved in an accident, I'd like to think I would be able to act quickly, but one just doesn't know until the crisis presents itself.

Depends on the crisis, or have I misunderstood the question?
That's true Mollie I also think it is very different if the crisis involves someone close to you. Then fear and shock can take over making it impossible to function.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2012, 05:52 AM

A couple of times in my life have I been involved in a mini crisis. Once when a chimney was on fire late at night in a house where a couple of old men lived (I was in my early 20's at the time). I went in the house, doused out the fire in the hearth, got one of the men, who was in bed, out of bed and downstairs. At that point the fire service had arrived so I left them to it. The second time was when an acquaintence was choking on some food so I gave her the Heimlich procedure (is that how it's spelt?) and all was well. It's surprising how calm I was at the time.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2012, 09:03 AM

Yes something clicks in, maybe survival not sure, I have always been on top in a crisis but not sure now.
mazzie
Scotland
mazzie is female 

10-08-2012, 10:29 AM

I think I could deal with most crises that would arise. Its my opinion that by the time you get into your 60s you've had so many knocks that you can pretty much deal with anything. I also believe that bringing up a family is good training for women for staying calm in a crisis. I've found the majority of crises with kids take place when there's only mum around so its a case of sink or swim and of course you swim and you calmly (or otherwise) deal with what's happening. Only after everything has been sorted out and everyone's fine are you allowed to fall apart briefly................usually in the bath.

Obviously crises come in all shapes and sizes and some are easier to deal with than others but I think when it comes down to it, if someone needs us, we're not going to fall apart, we're going to get it together and do what has to be done. I think its in everyone to stay calm in a crisis.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2012, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Thank you Meg, tonight I saw a thread where I could offer no answer.
My goodness, you are a deep one aren't you spitfire.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top