Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2012, 08:13 AM

Re: Morality

He was Sherlock Holmes' arch enemy
Erinaceous
East Anglia
Erinaceous is male  Erinaceous has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2012, 09:56 AM

Nature and nurture. But since nature is changed by Darwinian evolution it means that different cultures ----- evolve ----- different morality.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2012, 08:51 PM

Lyn darlin' I wouldn't necessarily call it abuse, but I learned quickly to 'behave' myself or risk a swift clip round the ear from George or Dragon (Mother).

George was a firm believer in chivalry and taught me likewise. Irrespective of women's lib and Political correctness I will still stand up when a women comes into my presence, I will still help her on/off with her coat, still hold her chair for her etc, etc. Although now personally disabled and therefore unable to offer my seat on the bus to women, nonetheless it still rankles in my consciousness.
Eggiebread
Bristol, UK
Eggiebread is female  Eggiebread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2012, 05:57 PM

Thanks all for your posts
inthemoment777
United Kingdom
inthemoment777 is male  inthemoment777 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2012, 12:18 AM

Intelligence?
Falconer
Lancashire
Falconer is male  Falconer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2012, 11:00 AM

I sincerely doubt that 'morality' can be defined as such...(one man's meat, etc?)...so, in my view, 'morality' is simply how the individual define's it and act's upon it!...'immorality' is nothing more than another person's view of how people ought to be...(if it isn't 'in-line' with the second person's reasoning, then it's deemed 'immoral'...but only in their own reasoning!)...therefore, to judge another person using one's own personal moral's would, therefore, be 'immoral'?...(e.g. if a person goes to Church every Sunday, and another doesn't, because they aren't slavishly following the first person's 'moral's, are they to be considered 'immoral'?).

I vehemently doubt the veracity of this view as much as I doubt the view's of the 'holier than thou' brigade...('I don't like it, so you shouldn't do it')...and I will alway's back the right of any individual whose view's on morality might clash with these people's 'status quo'.

As far as I'm concerned, 'morality' stem's from within and, providing it's respectful to other's, friendly, (without any cause to be otherwise), and legal...then one is a 'moral' person!.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2012, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by inthemoment777 ->
Intelligence?

Can you please explain and/or expand on what intelligence has to do with morality. The word on it's own has little significance.
inthemoment777
United Kingdom
inthemoment777 is male  inthemoment777 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2012, 03:02 PM

I'm not sure If I have posted this twice, my apologies if I have.

What I meant by intelligence was - I feel that on a superficial level we have become socially conditioned to a group morality with each of us has helped to build up out of our own individual desire for security and comfort. This has been carried out through culture, nationalism, the church, and dominant groups in society. For me looking at the present code of conduct, of the whole structure of morality, I think the true form of what we call intelligence, free from enticement or compulsion, is true morality.
For me, what brings intelligence is having the sensitivity of mind, conscious as well as unconscious and of the heart with its extraordinary tentacles of affection,and sympathy. Acting from true intelligence I feel produces true morality. For when true intelligence is operating the right behavior will ensue.
HeatherMK
Milton Keynes, UK
HeatherMK is female  HeatherMK has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2012, 04:03 PM

I think morality comes from several directions. There is a morality set for us, whether we agree with it or not, by our society. This will have come about over time. For instance, clothing ourselves would have originally been for warmth and/or protection. Now it is immoral to go about without clothing.
Then there is the morality set for us as individuals by parents, teachers, peer groups etc.
I think the most important form of morality is that which we work out for ourselves through intelligent thought and reasoning. Where we decide our own lines are drawn and how we end up feeling about how we treat ourselves and others. This is what defines us as moral beings I think.
Just my thoughts on the subject this fine Autumn afternoon.
inthemoment777
United Kingdom

25-10-2012, 04:23 PM

HeatherMK

That was well expressed and explained, thank you. I am dyslexic and can only admire people who have the ability to express coherently and precisely their point. I feel the same way about intelligence in relation to morality but could not express this as well as you did.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top