Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2016, 03:35 PM

Re: Dahlias

Originally Posted by Older git ->
I love them. I`m starting in a new garden so lots of work to do. I see folks walking by admiring the daffs and tulips that were here. But give me two years and then I might have some in the front garden
Hi OG. My garden is still a work in progress. We only moved here around four years ago and for the first two it was more a case of land reclamation. Beginning to see light at the end of the tunnel now and filling the rather large area up with flowers and shrubs. It was almost a year before I realised there were three ponds!
Enya
Suffolk
Enya is female  Enya has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2016, 03:46 PM

Dig mine up each year to dry out and replanted about a month ago, coming along a treat shoots growing well. Also separate them out each year, they say not to worry about digging up each year due to milder winters
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2016, 10:54 PM

Only just finished planting the last of my dahlias today Enya. Hope it's not too late.

My strawberry plants are all in big pots and I have moved them all together today to make netting them in easier.

Last year I had a 4-legged strawberry picker at work, inspite of the netting. It was only when I caught her with her bum in the air and her head under the net stuffing all the red ones, that I realised where they had been going - in my Nellie!
This year she will have a young apprentice to train, so I must be better prepared this summer.
Cedronella
england
Cedronella is female  Cedronella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2016, 11:28 AM

My dahlias are all in pots and starting to shoot. The snails had found their way in despite the pyracantha twigs and nuclear missiles I placed near and over the pots. Luckily I caught the blighters as they were making their final charge towards the young fresh shoots. I have not used slug pellets yet, though I was tempted. I hear of some wildlife friendly ones called Growing Success, but will research this first.
I love dahlias as they provide some great colour at the end of summer when a lot of annuals have run out of steam.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top